NBD: Sire V7

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by royd, Aug 29, 2017.

1. royd

royd Member

You can see my fretless Bee Bass in my avatar... I'd be happy to play nothing but that bass... ever... it simply works for me. But... I have lost a couple of gigs because it doesn't look like a Fender... and even more because it doesn't have any speed bumps on the fingerboard. So, I decided to pick up a fretted Fender like bass.

I tried a bunch of MIM Fenders and a couple of Squiers. Some were quite nice but none had exactly what I wanted. Add a case or bag and the price got upwards of $500 for many. Upgrade anything and you certainly were there even on used ones. None inspired me that much. Enter the Sire. The word on the web is that they are either "the equal of basses 3-5 X's their price" or "really good to unbeatable at their price point." The complaints I read about them were that they are heavy (as are all of the Fenders I tried), that the hardware is not the best (ditto for the Fenders in this price range), and that the truss rods are easily stripped. The praises were that the pre-amp is killer, they play very nicely, sound above their price point, and that fit and finish is really great.

I decided to order one. It is heavy... but not as heavy as many of the Fenders I played. The hardware isn't the best but it seems to work and the bridge is more massive than those that come on similar Fenders. The pickups sound good. The pre-amp is killer. It plays well. And it sounds good. I can hear Marcus Miller in there (if only he would play a little bit). Harmonics ring and the bass feels alive as much as one this heavy can be. Set up and intonation are very good out of the box. Fit and finish is good but it feels like the price point to me. I really dislike block inlays in a fingerboard and these look a little cheesy. So... in passive mode it is probably the equal of a MIM and certainly of a Squier. Add the pre-amp and it is in another category.

All in all it is a very cool bass especially at the price point and probably at a somewhat higher one. It certainly won't replace my Bee... and if I could justify the outlay, I would have purchased a fretted Bee. As it is, if someone demands that I play a fretted "Fender," I'll feel quite good playing this one.

Sorry there is no photo. I haven't found a third party hosting service to replace photobucket yet. The bass really does exist and is the sunburst Alder/rosewood version of a 4 string.

fretless likes this.
  2. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Thanks for the report. They've been on my radar for awhile now. They sure sound fantastic in all the demos I've seen online.

3. royd

royd Member

At a higher price point, I would have looked elsewhere... and I'm not really sold on the "you need a Fender J or P" thing so I could still decide to return it (you have 30 days), but it is an amazing value and does sound quite good. I did think about the M3 series Sire as well and I'm not sure that it would not have been a better fit for me. I was also considering the Cort B4 or some Ibanez... but this one looks like a Fender and sounds like a very good Jazz Bass.

4. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

I ended up selling all of my fretted basses at one time and switching to fretless only for many years. I did eventually get back into "normal" basses, and I'm glad I did. I would argue that having a great sounding Jazz bass is a wonderful thing and indispensable if your gigging a lot. It just works with everything. It's timeless for a reason.

royd likes this.
  5. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Pondering a Sire 5 stringer for a cover project that is in the works. They now have a PJ model which could be intriguing for my primary (Americana/folk) band. My singe rlikes Eb, and while I have been fine on a standard tuned 4 stringer, I have been pondering a 5er, or just down tuning.

6. royd

royd Member

Yeah... 5 strings don't work for me so I'd choose either to just drop the tuning or get a hipshot d tuner for it if I felt I needed that lower octave.

I also considered the PJ. I couldn't see anywhere on the website that gave the nut width for it. I'm not sure it would have made any difference for me, but I wanted to know. Add that it wasn't available yet and I'm all about immediate gratification o_O

Scott's Bass lessons has an interesting video on Youtube where he blind compares the neck pup of a Jazz Bass with a P and there is a lot less difference than I expected. Plus, even while there was some difference, I wasn't sure which would be which. He has another where he blind compares the V7 with a Fender custom shop Jazz. Again, there is clearly a difference, but I wasn't sure which was which and neither were the comments. In the end, I discovered that I preferred the V7. That video helped to put me over the edge for the V7.

Endr_rpm likes this.
  7. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

ha, I HAVE a Dtuner on most of my basses, I would just have to be constantly flipping back and forth :)

8. royd

royd Member

I played the Sire this morning with the church band... it sits in the mix very nicely. The signal is a little less than on my Bee and the frequencies it populates are a bit different so I had to play around with volume levels, but it worked nicely.

I would prefer a flatter radius on the fingerboard and it is much heavier than I'm used to but all in all, I'm very happy with it and would recommend one without a moments hesitation

fretless likes this.
  9. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

I'm really thinking about one of these. It's between the V7 and the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz. I own a M3 so I'm already a fan of Sire quality and the amazing electronics.

royd likes this.