NBD: Strandberg Prog 4

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I recently joined a project where I was a better fit on bass than on guitar. While I had an okay Ibanez bass, I decided that if I was spending significant time on the instrument, an upgrade was in order. As a general Strandberg fanboy (I have three of their guitars), the choice was obvious, particularly since their basses only weigh about six pounds. :eek:

Anyway, this is what followed me home from the FedEx store. :D

two fingers

Ridiculously cool. Getting my hands on a fiver of theirs scares me to death.... cuz I just KNOW I'll buy it.

derekd

Supporting Member
Ooo, I wanna try one of those. Yours looks great, congrats.

Be sure and give us a follow up after you've played it a while.

I'm thinking a 5 string version would be a whole lotta fun.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I seriously thought about getting the 5 but there's something about the slim feel of a J-Bass width neck in my hand that I didn't want to give up.

MartinCliffe

Wow, congrats, HNBD! Been meaning to try one of those, even though I need a new bass like a hole in the head, after buying two Mike Lull 5s this year

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Be sure and give us a follow up after you've played it a while.
Four weeks in...

No regrets. I know I got the right bass for me. It plays great and has the base (no pun intended) sound I want. It’s definitely a more modern sounding bass with its humbuckers but the active EQ offers plenty of control.

I find the Enduraneck shape to be even more helpful on bass as I rarely wrap my thumb around so the bevels keep it in a good place.

One thing that surprises people is the location of the volume knob back towards the butt of the instrument. In practice, this makes great sense because I find myself working the volume knob far less on bass than guitar. Having the blend knob that I use most often closest to the action makes a ton of sense.

derekd

Supporting Member
Four weeks in...

No regrets. I know I got the right bass for me. It plays great and has the base (no pun intended) sound I want. It’s definitely a more modern sounding bass with its humbuckers but the active EQ offers plenty of control.

I find the Enduraneck shape to be even more helpful on bass as I rarely wrap my thumb around so the bevels keep it in a good place.

One thing that surprises people is the location of the volume knob back towards the butt of the instrument. In practice, this makes great sense because I find myself working the volume knob far less on bass than guitar. Having the blend knob that I use most often closest to the action makes a ton of sense.
Thanks, Alec.

Really good to hear this. They are certainly tempting to me. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
That is very very nice, if I did not already have 3 Parker Fly Basses I would be in the market for one of those.
Funny you mentioned Parker. It was that brand’s demise that led me to discover Strandberg guitars. Sold my Fly Deluxe a couple months ago but still have my Classic.

BPlexico

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Parker Fly Deluxe once upon a time. There were quite a few things I really liked about it, save for the upper horn jabbing me in the chest (which isn't an issue with their bass). I don't even recall why I sold it other than was going through a guitar flavor of the month phase back then. That being said, all I have been using this year are my Strandbergs. That bass must be a lot of fun to play.

Trending Topics