NCAA: Make Sexual Assault Training Mandatory for Eligibility

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by StevenA, Jan 31, 2015.

1. StevenA

StevenA Member

Incredibly irresponsible. This nightmare is gonna take a lot more than a bunch of sniffling NFL players tearing up on TV. College head coaches just seem to turn the other way. Pathetic.

2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

So, you want the NCAA to start training the athletes how to sexually assualt?

That's pretty harsh.

3. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

I don't think this is an issue at all, as I believe many colleges run all students who live on campus through some programs already.

I don't know that training will change much for some of them, but if it includes some clear rules that are enforced for everyone--specifically whether an athlete or not you are out the door if you don't follow the college rules on acknowledging when sex is OK.

That's another can of worms, but I don't see it being a stretch at all to require incoming athletes to comply.

4. madstrat

madstrat Member

I like the idea, but some dudes are d-bags no matter what....

and mob/alcohol mentality can turn the timid into idiots

5. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

6. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

Especially since they seem to be pretty good at it all on their own :dunno

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

It reduces their liability.

The tremendous amount of money involved in this makes any meaningful changes meaningless.

It will continue to happen, and it will continue to be paid to go away...

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yeah.

The whole concept of the Student Athlete has just gone totally wrong.

I think the athletes should be locked out of the Campus facilities after normal hours. The more talented they think they are, the more entitled they assume they are. This is totally corrupt. Make them employees subject to rigorous rules of employment and 100% subject to EVERY local, state and federal law and law enforcement. Otherwise this is a conspiracy to rape and sexually assault students and university staff. Out of control, no means to stop it is too dire IMO.

9. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

10. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I worked with a guy who said that to the attractive HR assistant when she told us we were going to have sexual harassment training. He said "Oh we don't need that." When she asked "why?", he said "Because we're really good at it." and leered at her. :rotflmao While the rest of us sat there in shock, she ran out of the room and came back with the COO, who gave him a 3 day vacation...

11. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

How about we stop accepting people to universities who are so mentally vacant that they would need said training in the first place?

"Training" is what organizations do to posture as if they're actually doing something about a problem. Next, they will probably move on to "therapy," which will be subsidized by the tuition fees of students who actually have brains and are there to learn and develop career skills.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  12. StevenA

StevenA Member

Should include high schools also regarding hazing and bullying. Parents would need to take courses and be signed off for Junior to play. If a full ride scholarship is on the line, I'm sure the parents would get on board.

13. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Silver Supporting Member

A college student is a young adult. WTF do they need to be taught about not raping?

And why have dorms for athletes? Their special dorm is an invitation to trouble. Maybe get rid of all dorms and have the young adults dispersed into the near community paying rent?

I worked through university and law school and lived at home or in an apartment. Then and now the prolonged adolescence of college life struck me as total decadent ********.

14. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I guess they don't realize that sexual assaults on campus are at historical lows.
    Maybe because the nanny state has driven men away from college campuses in record numbers...

15. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

so , a common sense class?

16. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

I'm kinda down on jocks in general these days after seeing the high school situation up close for many, many years. It was a high school in a wealthy community, so maybe that had something to do with. The jocks pretty much acted like d-bags, I'm sorry to say. I saw it close up and it made me cringe, and it made me mad.

So yeah, whole mainframe of the jock as entitled jerk, it starts well before college.

Many folks might like to chime in here and tell me where to get off, because they once learned so much about life on the football team, etc. I'm just going by what I saw.

17. madstrat

madstrat Member

I guess its my responsibility to validate your statement?

Or is that not internet de rigueur for these types of posts?

18. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I'm sure that's a comfort to the Vanderbilt girl who was raped and pissed on, and the many more like her.

Imagine telling that to your daughter: "Don't worry honey, rape is at an all-time low. You're just a statistical anomaly. I'm sure that video won't stay on the Internet long."

I mean, seriously?

This statement is offensively wrong on so many levels - in terms of propriety, decency, common sense and critical thinking.

Imagine the girl that you love most in the world being sexually violated (and then pissed on for good measure). Because the chances are around 1 in 6 that someone will at least try, or already has. Then announce how it's at a low, as if a few are just to be expected. Let me guess: "boys will be boys"

19. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

News flash: people who commit sexual assault and rape already know it's wrong.

20. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

While this is true, don't for a minute underestimate what the nearness to celebrity + alcohol does to women.

I've seen girls do some pretty wild things because they were in the presence of popular/cool/celebrity people. Later sometimes "everyone" finds out, they get embarrassed, and try to take the easy way out, by saying they didn't want to.

This is in no way saying authentic victims are in any way to blame, but a lot of girls willingly do stupid stuff while drunk, and that's their fault, alcochol or not.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015