NCD and I'm seeing Red!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by fataxeman, Feb 7, 2015.

1. fataxeman

fataxeman Supporting Member

It arrived a couple of days ago but today is New Cartridge installation day.

$100 Moving Magnet Ortofon 2M Red is now up an running on my Oracle turntable (pictured below with the approximately 12 year old Sumiko Blue Point).

[​IMG]

The Blue Point served me well over many a mile of groovy sounds but over 10 years is a long time to go between cartridges. My vinyl usage has dropped dramatically in the last few years with CDs/DVDs/BluRay and computer audio.

All of them, while more convenient and fantastic sounding in their own right, are not even remotely as satisfying as spinning a good record. I always took good care of my vinyl, getting a record cleaner at one point and many records I have sound laughably better than even their remastered CD counterparts. It helps that I have an Audio Research PH3 tubed phono stage, which is the last remaining tube component in my rig.

So, even though there is a multi-step process to the rewards of playing vinyl, I am getting back in to it for the MUSIC's sake. It's me and the beautiful music in near darkness; left the iPad and the phone upstairs, didn't turn the TV on, didn't turn on the computer with 1500 albums on it which encourages, in me at least, an attention span measured not in albums or sides of a "record", but in fragments of songs. And no reading allowed, unless, of course, it is the liner notes that even 57-year old Fataxeman can see most of the time, occasionally even without glasses.

As I sipped on some Apothic Red, one of the many records I enjoyed was Wishbone Ash's "No Smoke Without Fire" which includes the awesome cut "You See Red."

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I'm seeing red and it's a blast! I wonder how long it will take me to play all these on the bottom row (and there's actually a couple hundred more).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

That is some collection! And some turntable! :aok

3. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

You put a $100 cartridge on an Oracle?

4. fataxeman

fataxeman Supporting Member

Sure did! There are a plethora of rave reviews on the cartridge from the Absolute Sound, other hi-fi rags, etc.. The Sumiko Blue Point from before was $125 if my memory is correct.

I waxed (pun intended) poetic about the joy of the vinyl "experience" and even though I'm getting back in to it, I know my usage patterns; I was just looking for the best recommendations in that price range.

Sure, I'd like to have a Graham, SME or other multi-kilobuck tonearm and am sure one of those would easily better the sound of my (used) Sumiko Premier FT-3 AND a high-dollar moving coil cartridge at, what, another 1-2k but it ain't gonna happen. I have knee surgery to pay for in a couple of weeks to boot.