NCD: Custom Audio Amplifers 2x12 w/ Eminence Governors, very MID heavy...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jjguitar, Mar 14, 2015.

1. jjguitar

jjguitar Member

Got this cab for a relatively cheap price loaded with 2 Eminence Red Coat Governors. Iv read that these speakers are quite mid heavy and after gigging with it for the last time last night I can see why. I was using my '71 bassman clean with juts a Zvex box of rock for drive and I found the cab to be VERY mid focused and quite dark sounding. I say very mid focused in comparison to my 2x12 backstar artisan cab with a vintage 30 and a WGS ET90. Obviously these cabs are very different so there is going to be an obvious difference in tone but I'm wondering whether these speakers are the cause?
    Im highly considering dropping a g12-65 in there and possibly something else (or maybe leave 1 governor in there). Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I'm blanking - the Governor is the Eminence clone of the Celestion V30?

I love V30's - they are very mid heavy, but also have a punchy bass that warms it up, and balances it out. I tried an Eminence Governor and hated it. I thought it sounded like a caricature version of the V30, not really at all what I'd call refined. YMMV.

Try swapping speakers from one cab to the other. Trying wiring it up to compare 1 V30 to 1 Gov.

3. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i have a Governor and M75 in a 2x12
    great, great combination!
    i have NO desire to experiment with other speakers at this point

Governor is a great speaker but i would mix it with something too

4. jjguitar

jjguitar Member

So gig number 2 with the cab last night, wasn't quite as noticeable last night but still definitely had a hevy mid presence. I think im going to replace one with a g12-65, sounds like that may be the ticket!

5. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I had the same cab with the Governors and my findings were exactly the same, extremely mid-heavy. I tried 1 Gov and 1 V30 and finally used 2 V30s, that sounded best. I did end up selling the cab because I still wasn't happy with the results.