NCD: Forte 1x12 / 3D Content (Picture Heavy. Nice)

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Since I got my Louis Electric KR12 Head, I've been considering getting a matching 2x12 from Louis but, I couldn't justify getting another 2x12 (I have 2 Stone Age 2x12's). I have a few 1x12 combo amps and, thought it would be nice to have a "grab-n-go" 1x12 for the KR12.

I was strongly considering ordering a 1x12 (I've never owned a 1x12 speaker cab; always 2x12's or 4x12's) from John at SA because I knew that I would be more than satisfied with the results but, I recalled having a conversation quite a while ago with Dave at Forte when I was in the hunt for a 2x12. While I thought Dave was very knowledgeable and his cab designs really peaked my interest, I felt that a 2x12 side-ported cab probably wouldn't have been the best route at the time and, consequently, ordered my 2nd 2x12 from John.

So, a few moths ago, I contacted Dave to discuss my 1x12 situation and, he quickly responded. Dave offers the 3D cab in Italian poplar plywood (w/Baltic birch baffle) with a unloaded weight of a mere 25lbs. Considering the cube-like size and shape of the cab, it sounded like a no-brainer. After some thought and selling some gear to offset the cost, I sent Dave a few pictures of my KR12 so he could match the grill cloth and tolex and, placed my order. Dave gave me lead time and, got me the cab in a very timely fashion considering the the build went into the holiday season.

As seen in the pictures below, this build is immaculate and, the attention to detail is fantastic. The construction rivals Stone Age (and I don't say that lightly).

So how's it sound? Well, I put a ASW KTS70 in the cab (which was quick because Dave provides the speaker wiring already installed with push-tabs for the speaker connections), powered up the KR12 and ran it through a 3.5 hour band rehearsal of classic rock and blues. The first thing I noticed is that the cab appeared (imo) to be brighter than my other 2x12's and 4x12's (I don't mean this in a negative way) but, since this my first 1x12 stand-alone speaker cab, this might be the nature of the beast when comparing a 1x12 to 2x12, etc. My LE Tremoverb 1x12 combo is also a bright sounding cab and, the Crema Wheat is also bright, so I don't think it's coincidence. The poplar is likely a contributing factor also. This didn't present a problem, I just made a few EQ adjustments on the KR12 which I usually run into a 4x12 closed back cab- big difference.

While this cab "looks" square and boxy (which I think looks very cool), those terms hardly describe the 3D tones this little guy is capable of. The notes and chords really ring/bloom and, was noticed and complimented by the fella's I was playing with repeatedly throughout the night- including my drummer who sat next to it for over 3 hours that night. Considering the side-porting, I was a little concerned about a lack of punch and cut but, I was worried for no reason; the cab performed flawlessly. Is it a 4x12 or 2x12 closed-back cab? No. But it sounds and plays very big considering it's compact and ported design.

Paired with the other guitar player using the Tremoverb 1x12 it was a great night of toneful rock-n-roll (with 1x12's). Looking forward to the next rehearsal...

If I'm ever back on the market for another speaker cab, I would not hesitate to call Dave again. The customer service, craftsmanship, concept and design are stellar and, to boot, Dave's got a good sense of humor. After this purchase/transaction, there's no doubt that Dave is good people.

Oh, and my wife said my mini half-stack is "cute" and, I'd have to agree...:omg

Last edited:

Dave_C

Congrats on the cab! Looks awesome. Dave makes GREAT stuff. I did a very similar thing when ordering my 1x12 from Dave in that I sent him pics to match it up to my Glaswerks SOD II. Matched perfectly! And, it sounds outrageous...VERY big for it's size...and I have a 4x12 and several other 1x12s and 2x12s to compare it to. Mine is all birch though, so it's heavier than yours, but extremely easy to cart in the scheme of things. Got it loaded with a WGS Blackhawk HP Alnico. Perfect match for the D-styles.

voojo

I absolutely love my Forte cabs & agree with everything you said. I bought some of the earlier models and they were built as well as any cab I've owned, and my newest 3D 112 is even better, which is hard to believe.

When funds allow I plan on picking up another cab, probably a 3D 212 horizontal. As you said Dave is a pleasure to deal with & very great about communication. His delivery times for me were either spot on or beat the estimate.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Congrats on the cab! Looks awesome. Dave makes GREAT stuff. I did a very similar thing when ordering my 1x12 from Dave in that I sent him pics to match it up to my Glaswerks SOD II. Matched perfectly! And, it sounds outrageous...VERY big for it's size...and I have a 4x12 and several other 1x12s and 2x12s to compare it to. Mine is all birch though, so it's heavier than yours, but extremely easy to cart in the scheme of things. Got it loaded with a WGS Blackhawk HP Alnico. Perfect match for the D-styles.
Thanks Dave. That's a sweet looking rig you've got there, much like your Germino rig! Is your Forte cab on casters or a riser? Hard to tell from the pics.

Since Dave includes the additional input for a additional speaker cabinet, I can't help but think :)facepalm) about ordering a 2nd 1x12....

I'll be selling another handful of pedals in the next few weeks and may use those funds towards another cab from Dave. We'll see....:drown

Dave_C

The Forte is on one of those On Stage amp stands with adjustable tilt and height. It's not the most stable platform in the world, but the head/cab are under the weight limit, so I think it's OK.

Talking about multiple cabs, I have stacked my Glaswerks Thiele or open oval back on the Forte with great results!

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
The Forte is on one of those On Stage amp stands with adjustable tilt and height. It's not the most stable platform in the world, but the head/cab are under the weight limit, so I think it's OK.
Ahhhhhhh, I see. At my initial first glance, I thought there was a volume pedal wedged under the right side of the cab....lol. It's early still.....

aflynt

Nice. I got mine in last week and am really liking it as well. Having only used open back 1x12 cabs for the last several years I actually found the Forte darker and punchier than what I'm used to, though.

-Aaron

Dave_C

Ahhhhhhh, I see. At my initial first glance, I thought there was a volume pedal wedged under the right side of the cab....lol. It's early still.....
Ha, ha...ya, that pic isn't too clear in that area. Could be anything under there! I also built a birch ply stand for that rig which is very sturdy, but it isn't the right height and tilt for some gigs.