NCD: Mesa Vertical Recto 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blackie59, Jun 23, 2016.

1. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Found a very good deal on a Mesa Vertical 2x12 for my Mark V head today. It's used in virtually new condition and the price was right so I bought it and it sounds great so far. I had a Recto Horizontal cab I got off craigslist but I just didn't like the weight of it and I'd read lots of good reviews on the Vertical cab so I took a chance on it and it is so much more easier to move around and takes up less space too. Anyway, I took a couple of cell phone pics because a post is not a post without the obligatory pics.

[​IMG]

Yes I need to dust my pedalboard. Here's a pic of my guitar and my previous cab which is awesome too, an open back 1x12 Widebody with a C90.

[​IMG]
    Both cabs together make a spectacular mix. Anyway, that's my new cab.

2. primal

primal Supporting Member

Congrats!

That is one sweet looking setup

3. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

Are you from Dallas? I have been eyeing one of those on CL and from The Guitar Sanctuary. They are now gone. Congrats.

4. blackie59

blackie59 Member

I live in Rockwall and bought the one they had at The Guitar Sanctuary this morning.

5. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

6. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

I've been looking at the vertical Recto cab with my Mark V:25. Looks great with the Mark V head. Congrats~

7. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

Very nice. Love those cabs. I want one. Actually, I want to build one like it if I can find some plans.

deathrider817 likes this.
  8. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Nice, congrats. Always wanted one of those.

9. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Congrats, those 2x12 cabs are cool.
    I was going to visit the GS to try the JP2C but then I got lazy.
    Did you get to try the JP2C there?

10. blackie59

blackie59 Member

No I had my two six year olds with me and the guys at the shop were pretty anxious with them running around all the gear. I had them sit on the stairs to keep them away from all the stuff they could break and there was real sense of relief when we walked out the door.

11. Rikster

Rikster Member

Just picked up the JP-2C and the 212 Recto Vertical cab. Was back and forth about this cabinet for sometime. I've been using an Orange PPC212 and the sound is phenomenal. Read the good and bad about the 212 vertical but figured I try something different. Glad I did ! Really like the sound of it. It's a little brighter and less "boomier" than the Orange cab. Like the angled top speaker. Easier to monitor my live sound, especially when not mic'd. The wheels are a big plus and, by its design, I find it easier to lift in and out of SUV for gigs. Really glad I made the purchase. Btw, the JP-2C sounds great running through it. Good luck with it and enjoy !

Cheers,

Rich:cool:

Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  12. deathrider817

deathrider817 Supporting Member

I would like 1 of those cabs for my EVH 3 LBX head..nice cab there!

13. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on a great cab. I just got a new one for the exact same reason, for my Mark V. But, it sounds great with the Mark V 25 and the Mini Rec as well. The Mini Rec sounds really big through it. And even without the speakers broken in at all, it sounds really good.

Fuzz Pig and Rikster like this.
  14. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

15. Rikster

Rikster Member

:agree !!! Couldn't put my finger on it, but now that you mentioned it..... It does sound really good, even without the speakers broken in. I wish my Orange 412 sounded like that when I first got it:phones that cabinet really required a break in period. Different beast and all, but this 212 Vertical sounds great and I haven't used it on a gig yet ! Btw, looks great with the Mark V sitting on it :dude

Cheers,

16. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Nice cab! Not to stir up a hornets nest, but there is a difference in the v30s Mesa uses versus the v30s Orange and others use.

Of course the cab itself is a very different design

17. Rikster

Rikster Member

:mob Hahahahahaha !!! No hornets nest at all my friend... I've read that they were different v30's but haven't opened the backs to check. What are the differences, if you don't mind me asking ?

Cheers,

18. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

From Steve Fryette, at Rig Talk:

"The 30 in V30 has nothing to do with power handling. But making a distinction between the Mesa version and the off-the-shelf version is legit, even though it has little to do with actual power handling capacity. The rated power handling of the V30 of any version (see below) is 65W.

The Mesa version is OEM. This is the T4416 model, which is an 16 ohm speaker. It is made in England specifically for Mesa. But Mesa didn't specify it that way. From what we were told by Celestion around 1997-8, Celestion changed the model T3904 (16 ohm) V30 design in the early 90s to make it easier and cheaper to produce. Mesa didn't like it and insisted on the original version, which then became an OEM model. The 8 ohm version of the Mesa speaker is the T4335. To get an OEM model from Celestion requires a large order. This speaker was made on a separate production line from the off-the-shelf V30, which as Van Nord says is fizzy and thin sounding by comparison.

There is a third 16 ohm version only used by Marshall - T3897 - which is even brighter.

When we were using Celestion speakers, we found out about the existence of the T4416 which we had purchased from our German distributor at the time and asked Celestion about it. They had claimed that they didn't offer OEM varitions of the V30, but changed their story when we sent them a T4416 "for evaluation". Then a new rep called us, confirmed that there were in fact two separate V30 production lines and agreed to make us a special T Number OEM speaker. After a couple of months back and forth, we placed a large order and requested the special number assignment, at which time they cancelled the order and reneged on the deal. That's when we switched to Eminence. We haven't used Celestions speakers since.

It's not that V30s don't sound good with our amps. It's just that the T4416 sounds better. The T3904 is now made in China and after all these years, the P50E does what we wanted Celestion to do originally - and does it better, in fact - so we don't need Celestions help.

So, if you like V30s, there is nothing about the amp design that will be compromised using a V30. Our amps are not voiced "only" for the P50E. What is optimized for the P50E is the cabinet design. In that, the P50 will perform better in our cab than any others.

And now you know that when you say V30, you could be talking about 5 different speakers - that all sound slightly different:*

T3903 Standard 8 ohm
    T3904 Standard 16 ohm
    T3987 Marshall OEM 16 ohm
    T4416 Mesa OEM 16 ohm
    T4335 Mesa OEM 8 ohm

*When you change the impedance rating of the speaker, you also change the inductance of the coil which changes the resonant frequency among other things. So if you have 2 identical amps and 2 identical cabs - one cab loaded with 8 ohm speakers and amp set to 8 next to one loaded with 16 ohm speakers and amp set to 16, they will sound noticably different. The 16 ohm rig will usually sound brighter and deeper.

Personally I prefer the 4416, but not in a Recto 4X12. And therein lies the rabbit hole - you can't accurately compare like speakers in unlike cabs.
    Last edited by sfryette; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:04 PM. Reason: Adding more mind numbing detail…"

TubeStack, teofilrocks and Rikster like this.
  19. Rikster

Rikster Member

Very interesting and informative read.

20. Rikster

Rikster Member

Very interesting read....

This part was very interesting as I did not know this. I was aware that cabinet size/material/thickness, yada, yada, can impact the tone but hadn't entertained the thought of the speaker impedance. Makes perfect sense though I am "electrically challenged":bonk LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!! Definitely clears up the differences in sound between the Mesa cab and the Orange. Thank you for the info

Cheers,