NDGGD (new double Gretsch Guitar Day)... with photobomb (beware)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mickey_C, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

It's been overdue, and now that I've added the 6128T-TVP (new yesterday) I owe the post on both of them. The G5420T is nearly two weeks old - it's an electromatic and I've upgraded the bigsby, pickups, bridge, and tuners. The 6128T-TVP is a power jet (TV Jones powertron pickups) so I intend to do nothing to it.

The 5420 has a nice chunkier neck - but the 6128 is fun to play, and very resonant with its chambered body. Both sound great plugged in - with the edge going to the TV Jones pickups in the 6128. Action on both is excellent. In fact, tbh, the 5420T is the nicer playing of the two, with the medium jumbo frets. If you've been on the fence about Korea quality, get off of it - the electromatics are insanely good guitars.

A little history on this 5420:

I saw they had this FSR model on sale for $749, and there was supposed to be one at the nearest Guitar Center. After driving 2 hours to get there, when they got the guitar down, it had scratches, nicks, and dings on it. I was pretty depressed about that, but I could tell I wanted that model because it played and sounded great. Maybe that's why it was so knocked up? They had finally locked it on the top rack to stop it being beaten to death.

I was offered a discount of $185 including a real Gretsch case for the guitar, so I bought it. I took it home and got busy with the sandpaper, and micromesh sanding pads. It looks pretty good now. Having gotten such a discount on the guitar, I immediately purchased the Gretsch bigsby on ebay, along with a set of filtertrons on reverb (only $60 wow), and the tuners from stewmac. I didn't bother with the pots as these new electromatics are coming with the full size pots and a treble bleed circuit on the master.

The power jet came as is, a perfect new guitar. The only thing I changed was adding the rocking bar bridge - I had a spare one in my parts bin.

Gallery is here with full size photos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Digidog, tjontheroad, b80 and 2 others like this.
  2. jazzsnds

jazzsnds Member

They both look good, upgraded to tv Jones pick ups, yeah. Enjoy.

3. Drew66

Drew66 Member

Nice, happy double ngd!

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

SWEET!

I have a new 5420T in orange, and a 5622T in Georgia green. I am quite fond of the stock pups & hardware in both! I feel these guitars just need to be played. Good stuff right out of the box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mickey_C likes this.
  5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

So where's the photobomb? I was hoping for a cat, dog or even a cute kid. Leaving disappointed. :waiting

johnnyb128 likes this.
  6. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

Mickey_C, how much work was involved installing the locking tuners? Did the peg head holes need to be opened up? Looks like a new hole had to be drilled for the screw as well?

7. Deus56

Deus56 Member

Also what brand did you go with?

8. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

I went with the Gotoh Magnum locking traditional tuning keys from stewmac. I had to open the holes with a 25/64 drill bit. It was not easy. I had to fill the downside screw holes, which are terribly close to the new screw hole position, and drill new screw holes. I filled the old holes with wood glue and toothpick ends. I haven't done the topside ones, as they need to be done with mahogany/glue mixed, since they are visible. I did not trust the screws Gotoh supplied, but purchased stainless steel #2 3/8" screws from Amazon. I've had too many cheap screws break off. Overall mounting the locking tuners was a massive PITA. But all that being said - the tuning on the 5420 is perfect now. I can do EVH type dive bombs with the Gretsch Bigsby, and even pull up on it - it's amazing how well it holds tune now, so removing the windings from the tuner posts does make a difference, as does having a real sandcast Bigsby.

The 5420T now plays and keeps tune better than the 6118T-ISV (anniversary silver/azure) that I returned. When plugged in it sounds the same now, having the same electronics, and with the 5ply maple (although heavier) it doesn't feedback as much. The Duane Eddy handle is super responsive, being sandcast as well. I have one on order for the power jet.

I am pretty happy :)

Deus56 likes this.