NDP: Empress Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jsytsma, Apr 22, 2015.

1. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Few weeks ago I posted looking for opinions on this one - seems like no one had anything bad to say about it, and I had been looking very specifically for a QUIET comp (especially since I mainly use single coils).

This puppy's expensive, but honestly I'm SO impressed with it. Fiddled with it for an hour - even with the most extreme settings in place it not only sounds GOOD, but it also isn't loud. I need a bit of time to dial in a "natural" sound that isn't overwhelming.

So far my thought:

Once I dialled it in to a pleasing sound, I played for a while, turned it off. Played for a while, turned it back on. It makes everything sound more full and rich.

Early days, but I am a happy camper!

For those who think pics are necessary, my board is a mess because I'm in the middle of rewiring some of it (have a POG2 coming tomorrow, and a Disaster Area DMC-8D next week) so I won't be doing any pics till she's rewired and pretty ;)

2. twp

twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! The Empress Comp adds some "better" to my rig as well. It's hard to describe what it does in concrete terms: it still sounds like my guitar and my amp.... Just better.

The LED comp indicators are super helpful btw. At first it just looked cool but they are a helpful guide in dialing in various comp settings.... Details in the concise and helpful manual.

3. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

I just had and still have a xotic sp/g-lab comp/barber tonepress/keeley GC-2/and lastly an Empress comp.
    I didn't care for the xotic, Glab makes very quality pedals, and the comp is 2 channel and midi as well, worls great, but a "blend" would really put it at the top.
    Keeley CG-2 was too soft/warm and intense.
    Tonepress was good, but noisy compared to the Empress.
    Out of the bunch, Empress was the winner in my book.
    But alas...ALL comps just add too much noise when the gain is brought up to compensate for the volume loss. For cleans , that's fine, but when overdriven, its just too hissy and feedback prone. Even with a Decimator II gate pedal.
    I guess Comps just aren't for me.
    But the Empress is very good.

4. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Empress comp is one of the best out there.

5. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Congrats! I love my Empress.

6. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Congrats! I got to borrow a bunch of my friend's pricey compressors while he was making EPs a few years ago and the Empress won easily (and not the most expensive). It is now hard to play without it on. There is a lot to learn on the Empress, so for me it was a long, but worthwhile learning curve.

7. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Awesome comp. Congrats. Think I've had mine for 5 years now. It's it for me......

8. stratohiker

stratohiker Member

Digging mine as well
    Moved from a BiComp
    Empress still on the board running a 4.1 setting always on at gigs
    Although that new Cali76D compact unit looks appetizing. ...
    But the $ on that......yeez
    Never ends it seems
    I'll stick with the EC me thinks
    It has been a standard bearer for some years now ...for good reason

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  9. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

If I wasn't so happy with my Dinosaural Compressor, the Empress would be on my list. I agree that it sounds great, has great reviews and is very capable.

I still wonder "What if?".

10. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Since I started this thread, I'll say that this thing hasn't left my board. I tried a Walrus Deep Six, which I actually really liked, but mainly for stuff that's a bit "squishier" - the Empress is the...well I was about to say King, but maybe the description is in the name of the brand ;)

11. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

I love terrible puns and that really empressed me.

jsytsma likes this.