• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

ne King Imperial II

Kostas

New version, a couple new features. I hope the new version of the attenuator is better. I haven't tried an Iron Man yet but I never played with an attenuator I liked excluding the power scaling on the Suhr Badger.

http://www.toneking.com/models/imperial-mkii-combo/#summary

The attenuator bypass switch is a usable feature. I didn't understand exactly what the handwired board is but I'm guessing there is a board.

just3guitars

I'm looking at this as well as the metropolitan I have isn't doing it for me…Hate the dirt channel…I once played an old imperial and it was amazing..should have got it…that reverb…chime ..wow…when is this one entering the ring?

FreeBlues

Gold Supporting Member
I recently had a chance to A-B a "standard" Imperial with the 20th Anniversary model, the one with the built in Ironman attenuator. I REALLY wanted to love the 20th Anniv. model, but didn't. Compared to the standard it seemed nasally, sort of compressed, lacked the sparkle and chime. Of course, adding the Ironman into the path would account for much of this difference, but even with the Ironman out of the circuit I still preferred the standard.

In the end I bought the standard and have no regrets. (I am going to add some sort of attenuator for home playing, likely the Unleash, but that's a different story.)

All this to say I am VERY interested in seeing what's in store here, Tone King amps are about the best I've played.

just3guitars

my thoughts exactly….Mark is changing his "tone" more mids less glass…not certain if i like that..so you dig the imperial? and still own her….Im about to sell my new Metropolitan..never bonded….gimme your opinion on the imperial???

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
my thoughts exactly….Mark is changing his "tone" more mids less glass…not certain if i like that..so you dig the imperial? and still own her….Im about to sell my new Metropolitan..never bonded….gimme your opinion on the imperial???
Well, you're in the driver's seat now, pal. This will undoubtedly - as intended - lead to many Imperial owners selling their older ones to cop the new one. Be patient, by New Year's, you'll be able to cop a used one for a deep discount.

jayn

Dang...someone hide my credit card! This could be close to my perfect amp and one where I could dump the pedalboard.

Kostas

I would be interested to see an A-B test with the Anniversary and the II version with the same parameters: Both speakers burned it, stock tubes burned in, same settings in both amps and most of all a good reviewer with skills and lots of classic guitars, like Pete Thorn.

These two amps will have the same price and because of the attenuator there are more expensive than the first version of the Imperial.

kingdavidy2k

I would be interested to see an A-B test with the Anniversary and the II version with the same parameters: Both speakers burned it, stock tubes burned in, same settings in both amps and most of all a good reviewer with skills and lots of classic guitars, like Pete Thorn.

These two amps will have the same price and because of the attenuator there are more expensive than the first version of the Imperial.

I second that request. + throwing in the regular Imperial to the comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seegs

Years ago I used to go to a session where the house band's guitarist had a 1994 first version Imperial...that amp was very dark with almost no headroom...hated it for clean rhythm playing but loved it for soloing...

A year or so ago I went and demoed a standard circuit board Imperial and the HW 20th anniversary model and I came away liking the standard model best...the more expensive hardwired version was pretty ho-hum in comparison and certainly didn't warrant the 5-600 up charge it goes for...

I really wanted to like the std. Imperial as it fit my needs and budget so just to be sure I went back on 3 separate occasions with my guitars...

On the last visit I played the amp and went to a vintage only store and played a few BF and SF Fenders for a comparison reference...it was then that I realised that the Imperial was really bright...glassy...thin and harsh sounding...the lead channel was not very useful either...so I went ahead and bought a 64 Bassman head for about a 1/3 of the cost of the Imperial...

Maybe the new and redesigned Imperial II will be better for my needs without the glass in the high end as that was really annoying to me when I demoed the std. Imperial...

FFW to a few months ago and my store just got a Skyking/Creamback in...I fell in love and was smitten by this amp...just out of my budget range for an amp...it would be perfect if it just had one channel and no attenuators and came in at an appropriate price...the rhythm channel is stunning...as it is 2600 for that amp is not going to happen but I keep dreaming a about owning one...

Maybe I just do not like 6V6 amps...

just3guitars

interesting Seegs I own the Tone king Metro…deep rich cleans but not my thang in the "tweed" channel…but Im surprised you didn't dig the imperial…I love the clean shimmer and that reverb wow…soooo Having never played the sky king….you are now making me wanna go out and find one for a spin…cleans THAT rich??? nice

Seegs

interesting Seegs I own the Tone king Metro…deep rich cleans but not my thang in the "tweed" channel…but Im surprised you didn't dig the imperial…I love the clean shimmer and that reverb wow…soooo Having never played the sky king….you are now making me wanna go out and find one for a spin…cleans THAT rich??? nice
The Imperial just didn't do it for me and in the end I guess I just don't like 6V6s...

The Skyking's rhythm channel is my thing and the cleans are that good for me...the bass end can get a little loose and farty but that's kind of a BF Fender thing so you have to keep it low...plus as much as like the Creamback in that amp I would try some other speakers to fine tune it to my needs...

Last edited:

tanyet

My Skyking had the best cleans I've ever heard. Especially in ultra linear mode. When I a/b'ed it with my DRRI I just couldn't justify the cost difference. I liked it better but it was more different than anything else. The SK had a more vibrant, acoustic quality with no harshness at all. The DRRI was chimey and sparkly just as it should be. I ended up keeping the DRRI and selling the SK.

The lead channel on the SK was not for me. Wasn't tweedy enough.

just3guitars

My Skyking had the best cleans I've ever heard. Especially in ultra linear mode. When I a/b'ed it with my DRRI I just couldn't justify the cost difference. I liked it better but it was more different than anything else. The SK had a more vibrant, acoustic quality with no harshness at all. The DRRI was chimey and sparkly just as it should be. I ended up keeping the DRRI and selling the SK.

The lead channel on the SK was not for me. Wasn't tweedy enough.
I feel you…seems the tone Kings second channel doesn't cut it for most…

I just bonded with my Friedman dirty shirley..I know completely different beast but I just set it and play with my volume on my geetar I don't use pedals…
And alas My new Metropolitan is now on sale Cyber monday!:banana

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
The key to most TK amps' 2nd (lead) channel is to ID the 12AX7 preamp tube that's providing the 3rd gain stage and experiment with different value tubes. I dug a 12DW7 (1/2 a 12AX7 for the trem circuit, 1/2 a 12AU7 for the lead circuit) in my old Continental.

jayn

The key to most TK amps' 2nd (lead) channel is to ID the 12AX7 preamp tube that's providing the 3rd gain stage and experiment with different value tubes. I dug a 12DW7 (1/2 a 12AX7 for the trem circuit, 1/2 a 12AU7 for the lead circuit) in my old Continental.
The other key is to play it at 70% or more on the volume control. I had a early to mid 90's Imperial...hated the lead channel until I went to a really loud jam and cranked it. Then, it was, "holy smokes, now I understand!" But, that was LOUD.

My Imperial was probably even brighter than the new one I demo'd a couple months ago. It was definitely not dark in any way.

On paper, the new tweaks sound perfect, but I'd have to hear one in-person to commit the (likely large) ducats.

archtop

I feel you…seems the tone Kings second channel doesn't cut it for most… I just bonded with my Friedman dirty shirley..I know completely different beast but I just set it and play with my volume on my geetar I don't use pedals… And alas My new Metropolitan is now on sale Cyber monday!:banana
I mainly use the second channel on my metro

tone?

I really liked the Imperial , but it was silly loud for such a low wattage amp!

kingdavidy2k

Isn't the only different between the MkII and 20th Anniv the speaker? The 20th Anniv has Creamback isn't while the MkII is the same as regular MkI Imperial? Some sort of Eminence isn't it?

Trending Topics