Neal Schon plays TOO fast

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baba, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

First off, I’m one of the biggest Neal Schon fans you will find, have been since I started playing.

I love the fact that he can burn AND play bluesy and/or melodic as well.

BUT, in the last 10-15 years, his burning/shredding whatever you want to call it, has gotten to the point where you can’t even hear the notes anymore, which makes playing it completely pointless.

Here’s a recent vid from G4:

Forget for a second what song he’s playing, it’s not about a tribute to the song or accuracy, and that’s fine.

Moby Dick, Hamer95USA, sahhas and 2 others like this.
  2. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

Some of that was definitely tasty...Neal Schon gave me the guitar bug when Escape came out, so I'm a huge fan....that said, gotta agree with you....some of the phrasing has left Neal for sheer speed wankage. There is no melody in that kind of speed...unless you're Marty Friedman

3. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

He's 64 years old.
    I doubt he really cares that much about it anymore as long as the paychecks are still flowing...

4. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Neal playing Ibanez? o_O

5. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

Sounds like he went full toe on the wah every time he did a fast run.

Thorazine Dream, Jim S, dg87 and 2 others like this.
  6. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

that clip did not inspire me much

Gig Young, bsuite, Pedal Dan and 5 others like this.
  7. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

His fast playing has always had a “rats scampering across slick linoleum” sound to me.

Gig Young, uab9253, mvd18969 and 40 others like this.
  8. s2y

s2y Member

I loved a lot of his past playing. Too fast and too much whammy for the last ~10 years. Coming from me, that's a sign it's way too much.

kstrat62, forgivenman, Dale and 2 others like this.
  9. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

I couldn’t agree more. At this point in his career, having played guitar for 50 years, I doubt Neil could really restrain himself from that rapid style of lead playing if he wanted to, without considerable effort. And especially so when slugging through most of the Journey tunes the band regularly plays in concert theses days, as Neil’s already played the songs a couple hundred of times over the last 30+ years. Unless large numbers of Journey fans and/or fans of (just) Neil beome so turned off by his rapid fire leads that they beging to forgo attending Journey concerts it seems pretty unlikely he’ll return to his former style of paying.

GtrGeorge!, maplebaby and NorCal_Val like this.
  10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

He’s got a really recognizable style/tone. I like his slower playing; it’s much more effective.(for me)
    When he plays fast, it’s just a sloppy blur. (BTW, I’m a big fan of the stuff he did with Jan Hammer and the HSAS album.)

Jimi1983 and Hamer95USA like this.
  11. 6L6wreck

6L6wreck Member

[​IMG]

Blurry of notes last few years.
    Seems to have lost some feel.
    He's been around a long time tho.
    Those first few Journey albums [yes vinyl LP] are timeless.
    Neal is responsible for having me jonesing for a Les Paul Custom Black Beauty as a teen and beyond.
    Ive chatted with him a few times on FB. He's surprisingly candid.

12. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

sadly i couldn't agree more....following him on SM he's nearly ALWAYS got a guitar in his hands, which i wish was my life, and he always playing these blistering phrases - got it Mr. S you can fly faster than most of us ever will but it doesn't say anything other than you play guitar constantly.

Give me, Lights solo, Walks Like a Lady solo, Who's Cryin' Now Solo or maybe my fave which is not easy to choose, I'll Be Alright Without You solo.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  13. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Two axioms come to mind:

* With great power comes great responsibility.

* Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I no more want to hear a guitarist spooge all over the place than I want to see a Club DJ scratching all of the damn time. Music first, shred second.

So ease up, killer. Put your malmsteen back in your pants. Virtuosity isn't everything.

(He's mega talented, for sure.)

14. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

Totally agree. I wrote about this last year, after seeing Journey in concert. It was a wankfest with him noodling around solo's that are, on their own, beautiful melodies written within a song. He just shredded through everything. I was disappointed.

15. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

16. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

He's always had two speeds - slow + sustained, and what I call "blur". He used to use some blur to connect slow and sustained, now he uses some slow and sustained to connect blur.

"Blur" mode is where he plays so damn fast you can't tell what it is.

17. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

:D
    If I could add more quotes to my sig, this is definitely sig worthy...

hank57, James, dpgreek and 2 others like this.
  18. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I agree with every response so far.

19. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

The issue is never “too fast” because the human ear can discern every note (and nuance) at hyperspeed with no absolutely problem. Think about piano virtuosos playing those monstrous two handed runs in a Chopin piece...

Neal isn’t playing “too fast” he’s simply not playing with precision. Half the notes in those runs are being missed. Back in the 80’s he could nail that stuff but his technique was just THAT great.

He’s been trying to cheat over the last 20 years by using the Sustainor, rack compressors, high gain preamps, high output pickups, stereo delay, stereo reverb etc.. and the result is pure sh*t.

You can’t replace virtuosity with effects. Eddie’s been pulling that crap for years and I’ve passed on many free VH tickets because of it. I can’t see my heroes and then pretend they’re not sucking, because there's nothing worse than a mindless fanboi. They can play or they can't. It's that simple.

What you’re supposed to do with age is adapt and create new approaches, new phrases, you know "GROW" as a musician etc... the problem with Rock Stars is they have a cushy life and once the drive to practice 8 hours a day is gone, it doesn't come back.
    These Rock Stars think "lemme just drown it with effects and no one will even notice” but the fact is, everyone notices.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  20. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

I really liked Neal Schon's playing on his "Beyond The Thunder" and "Voice" records - superbly melodic and lyrical! The shreddy stuff doesn't really do anything for me.

johann and G34RSLU7 like this.