Neal Schon plays TOO fast

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baba, Jan 10, 2019.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Now on this post, you are 100% accurate. I saw Yngwie 4 times before the accident, and 3 after. The first time after it I immediately recognized that he was not as "sharp" as he used to be. Every time after that was actually better than that one, so he did get better, but none after, and none of his other stuff after, was as good as before. And it is sad that an injury could take away the brilliance he once had.

BillTrantos likes this.
  2. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

That's true, that accident was crucial to his development. However, he has some hidden gems after the accident. Odyssey, Eclipse, Seventh Sign and Magnum Opus were great albums with exceptional guitar playing. I guess the injury got the best of him as he got older.

Enough with the off topic though, didn't want to hijack this thread. :)

Dr Bonkers likes this.
  3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I think Neal still plays very well. My issue with many of these posts was 1) Neal has ALWAYS had a style where he'd play something melodic, then go into a flurry of notes, then back to melodic. Not saying every solo ever, but he was doing this A LOT even in the late 70s! 2) this is a freakin jam! This is not a studio or concert, it's an evening jam session. Any of you ever flub a few notes in a jam? Of course not. 3) it was recorded with a cell phone. It is not even a mixed board feed, it's a room recording.

So, whether its the gnats on Mars or the fleas on Uranus, the tone and sound represented in this recording is not enough to offer a completely accurate analysis of the tone or playing. IMHO, your fleas may vary.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. Knaggster57

Knaggster57 Member

I don’t listen to him much since I’m not into Journey. However, I loved his playing on on Santana IIJ. The fact that he turned down an offer from Clapton to join Derek and the Dominoes to join Santana tells you all you need to know about his talent.

5. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

:rotflmao

6. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Well... it made me appreciate Jimi’s version even more than I already did.

Neal is a great guitar player, and yeah... the fast run is part of his style.

I never got that good at playing fast.

I don’t practice it enough, and I usually copy singers.

Hope the mod doesn’t mind me saying that.

7. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

It's whether, not "wether." Let Stewie Griffin demonstrate the "wh" sound, as in Cool Whip.

jads57 likes this.
  8. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Schon's recorded work from 78 to the mid-80s was an influence on me throughout my teens in the 80s. During that time I never doubted the guy's chops for a moment. But since then I've always gotten the impression that after Steve Perry left, Schon has felt the need for speed on an insufferable level. It just always seems like he's trying to impress or prove something, and it's totally unnecessary. Someone needs to reel the guy in. Now he whips out the speed picking constantly. It's like he wants to be Ing-vay Almsteen-may, or something.

9. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

About 12-15 yrs ago at the G3 show at the Beacon in NYC there was Vai, Satch and YJM, then out of nowhere another guitar chimes in and Petrucci walks on stage then another guitar chimes in and Schon walks on stage - and they did an entire Hendrix set the five of them and it was AWESOME. Yngwie has a really good voice by the way - he nailed those songs.

Hamer95USA and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  10. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

Back in the 80’s I read about Yngwie Malmsteen in Guitar Player magazine and i just had to go out and buy his album to hear this “amazing new player”. I tossed it on the turntable as soon as I got home, listened to side A, and put it back in the cover and never listened to it again. He’s incredibly fast, as if he’s playing a six string machine gun, but musically, it did nothing for me. I’d rather hear BB King play one note.

Ron likes this.
  11. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

The solo from "Anyway You Want It" is a perfect example of that. I know exactly what you are talking about.

12. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

The one Sammy reunion show that I saw was less than inspiring, let’s out it that way.
    I’m so glad Ed sobered up.

13. muku

muku Supporting Member

I like fast. I like Charlie Parker over Quaker Oats

StummerJoe likes this.
  14. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Why would any of the mods have an issue with that?

15. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Idk.

In a thread about floating trems being “flawed”...

I put up pix of 3 of the most successful female musicians, currently active, and said I like to be able to raise and lower the pitch like they do.

My post was removed, and I was sent a message to “knock it off”.

Funny thing is, I got this back in April of ‘86..
    And did the same thing back then.

I’ve always “borrowed” from vocalists.

16. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

Well I know he sure has gone overboard on the weirdo factor....

17. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

You're absolutely wrong. This video is long after the accident. What he does here is mind-boggling. Watch the economy with his right hand--there's not a millimeter of wasted motion. He's at the peak of his powers.

Hamer95USA, scr@tchy, Ron and 2 others like this.
  18. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

If it sounds like he's playing too fast, it's either a lack of technique (guessing not) or the sound/tone is not conducive to articulate and clean lines (which I'll agree with).

19. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

That lady was married to some other fella and crashed an event at the White House during the Obama administration. She then hooked up with Neil before she was divorced. I saw them together on the Today show once, and it was very BIZARRE! o_O

sahhas and Misterbulbous like this.
  20. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I never minded Neal and when I was younger Neal was the only thing I found in Journey. Now that I'm older I feel differently.

I seem to recall from old guitar mags from the 80s where I think Neal was bitten with the Eddie Van Halen bug. Often times their names were mentioned in the same breath but Neal' s name was always second and I think that's where things changed for him. I sometimes think Neal tried to make his 20 seconds purely for him because Journey wasn't a band that allowed him to achieve individual superstar status like Van Halen was for Eddie. I think Neal over-reached in a lot of songs. But still for the era I think he had good tone and for the most part he had good note selection and I honestly don't think EVH could play in a band like Journey. They were apples and oranges but the were always compared it seemed.

Hamer95USA likes this.