Neal Schon plays TOO fast

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baba, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Hamer95USA likes this.
  2. micycle

micycle Member

Woah, interesting - thanks for pointing that out! I never thought to look it up, and sure enough I was playing it the "wrong" way that he first demonstrated in the video.. the way he does it sort of reminds me of a Nuno Bettencourt solo phrase (another one on my bucket list) in the beginning of Extreme's "Mutha". I've tried that "slicing" picking style in the past but it just feels too weird.. I didn't know that was a technique for shredding but it makes total sense so I'll try and work it into my bag of tricks a little bit more!

Telefunky likes this.
  3. OldN'inTheWay

OldN'inTheWay Member

Neal can be kind of sloppy sometimes, but I always liked the guy's playing. Could partly be the amps he uses as well, or perhaps too much gain.

4. sertshark

sertshark Member

No disrespect intended to the OP here ( or anyone else for that matter), because your are certainly entitled to your musical tastes and I'm sure you didn't mean any negative (because you are a long-time Neal Schon fan obviously), but this is a problem we all experience, not only as musicians but as music fans in general. We tend to forget the fact that a guitar player should, first and foremost, be an ARTIST. I don't know about anyone else around here, but I get sick of people judging a musician based on limited info or just one video or based on their own perception of what someone should sound like that day (just pull up any YouTube video and read the comments). Now in my own little amateur world, I don't play the guitar to impress anyone. I got over that after my teens and my twenties, mostly because I realized if you are gauging how you are doing based on other's judgements that is a no win situation. I play the guitar, like a lot of you, because of that extremely addicting way it makes me feel, and I don't think anyone on this board, nor Neal Schon, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Joe Bonamassa or Joe Schmoe are much different, at least when you get right down to the basics of putting a couple fingers on some strings. We play because we have something we need, I mean, something we MUST say, to get off our chests through the medium of our guitar, and just like when we talk, sometimes we want to say it loud, sometimes we want to say it soft, sometimes we want to say it fast, sometimes slow, and sometimes we even talk to ourselves when nobody is around (like when we can't find our f***ing keys)... And then sometimes we stutter or lose or words or say the wrong thing. I'm just an amateur guitar player who is still nothing more than an amateur apprentice after almost 40 years of playing, and like a lot of you I play in a busy cover band, and just like a lot of you guys (and gals), I get my share of compliments on my playing, and as much as I really, really appreciate it, I also know there is someone else in the bar that night who thinks I probably suck. Sometimes they are right, especially if they were only there to hear one song and it happened to be the one I started in the wrong key!!!!! Or maybe I play too fast for them, or too slow, or too both. Or, maybe I suck, especially compared to them.

But really, I can't stand that kind of thing, and all of us as musicians have to deal with it. Do you (and by "you" I don't mean the OP, I mean all of us) look at a painting and say "Yeah, too much blue" or do you look at a photo and say, "Oh, I really hate black and white photos, all black and whitish and all..." A solo, or any guitar playing for that matter, is no different than someone painting a picture or writing a story. It isn't "good" or "bad". It is, instead, simply what it "is" at that moment in time. The dude (or girl), at that moment in time, is expressing something on their guitar, and it is no different than if they spoke it to you, instead of played it to you. They chose to use a guitar, no different than if they used a paint brush or a pen. It's why we do it, at least it is why I do it, to let something inside get outside.

My apologies for the rant...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

whats funny about this topic/thread, is that I recall an interview with him where he discussed that he acknowledged he had been playing too fast and that he just got lost in trying to shred solos and show off. He then stated he was really focusing on slowing down and making a point of being more expressive in his playing....slowing down and enjoying each note.

Guess that insight didn't last too long....

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Good examples of his overplaying are on the live Paul Rodgers & Friends Jimi Hendrix tribute release and the HSAS record (swimming in delay, which sure didn't help). He's a brilliant player which SO much great work, but oft comes off like he has a chip on his shoulder, trying to prove he has chops (he does).

7. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I remember seeing Journey on a TV show thinking WOW Neal is really loud... much louder than the vocals.
    Then it came time for the solo he goes way out to the front strikes a pose and hits a big clunker, then just shreds the solo to compensate for messing up. I kinda chuckled!

~ss

Bobbybigbucks and NeuromancerAI like this.
  8. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

I think that's why people are so enamored with players like George Benson...who play super fast but clean and with melody...that's why GB is such a freak of nature....

ShredSquatch and Telefunky like this.
  9. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

10. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Unorthodox angle of the pick? I have aways picked like that naturally. I don't play fast either. Are you saying most people have their pick parallel with the strings? If you are, I would find that more unorthodox and very limiting, even tone wise.

11. 83stratman

83stratman Member

This is the biggest bunch of bull **** I have ever read on TGP.

12. gijoe

gijoe Member

Humbuckers, way too much gain, Sustainiac, wah. The guitar becomes so "thin" and compressed, it's inaudible.
    The guy who said he's cheating hit it on the head. He was so much better in the 70's in phrasing and tone. I'll always dig the early stuff, but stuff like this jam and his sound the last few decades....don't care for it.

13. Seymour Cash

Seymour Cash Supporting Member

He needs to grow the fro back. That held the magic.

TubeStack, scotticus, ak301 and 3 others like this.
  14. macrofor

macrofor Macro Silver Supporting Member

Even I can fake fast playing with that much gain and a way wah. I don’t think it even matters what kind of guitar he’s using at that point. I’d love to hear a solo like “lights go out..” where you can hear the guitar.

Dyed hair, leather pants, young hot wife, trying to constantly shred.... I’d prefer he played like a guy in his mid 60’s

15. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

The bigger the fro, the better the player?:banana

Seymour Cash likes this.
  16. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Geez...the dude is a living legend...played some killer melodic solos on some iconic rock hits...was a teen whiz kid in Santana's band and had Clapton asking him to join his touring group...

....and a bunch of TGPers decide they are going to rip the guy up over a cell phone video at an event where people are expecting fast playing...or his hair...wow....

MattC, ak301, Hamer95USA and 3 others like this.
  17. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

I always thought Journey could have been so much more.

18. cust22

cust22 Member

I've seen Neal play an Ibanez live when he played at BB Kings in NYC

19. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I think his Marshall has too many knobs,...he needs a dumble,....

20. ieso

ieso Member

Don't let the rabbit out of the hat :D

BTW, Shawn Lane and V. Reid use this grip

Telefunky likes this.