Neal Schon plays TOO fast

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baba, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Neal Schon is a fine guitarists for sure. But wether playing fast or slow, you have to tell a story that connects with others. John McGlaughlin is one of the few guitarists who can play fast as well as connect. It's much harder to get accross the story for most people when it is intense and complex.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

If you guys ears are so good you can judge all this from a cell phone recording in a jam session in a ballroom, the constant noise from the gnats on Mars must drive you crazy!

EXACTLY! The setting and what it is have been explained here, yet the remarks go on unaffected by the facts. This was a cell phone recording. This was an evening jam in a ball room setting. NOT a G4 "Concert." NOBODY has any legitimate leg to stand on to criticize the tone of a cell phone recording in a live, ball room venue. Do you?

It's one thing to discuss these things and that's obviously why we're all here. But 9 pages of mostly bashing a legendary iconic guitarist based on a cell phone video is kind of thread that makes me feel like the line from Billy Madison. I feel stupider for even reading all this thread! :bkw

John Hurtt and Cold Phase Dept. like this.
  3. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Neal has never been the cleanest “shredder” in the world and that’s fine. It’s just now he’s using more compressed and gainy tone and that’s making it sound like a mess. I think the tighter his faces gets, he add more gain.

4. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Neal can use whatever he wants if it gets his sound across to his audience, myself included. Being a Fractal Audio FX-8 owner, the Axe FX that he uses onstage sounds great. Less use of the effects during his solos, more dry, upfront, in your face tone especially when he gets into his fast picking parts would make me appreciate his more current approach to his playing. I still enjoy & appreciate his style of guitar playing regardless.

Guitar George

MattC and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  5. Seymour Cash

Seymour Cash Supporting Member

Like the mighty Samson.

Telefunky and NorCal_Val like this.
  6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Yes, it's true that he has had plastic surgery, hair implants, and even sent out a sexting picture of himself to some woman (really embarrasing!) that somehow got posted online. I don't understand how the looks of a very successful 64yo guitarist from a well know pop/rock band has anything to do with his playing style?

Guitar George

John Hurtt likes this.
  7. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

And I don't understand how Neal sending out a sexting picture of himself has anything to do with my comments.

8. AdamCook

AdamCook Member

Maybe you're just listening TOO slowly.

scr@tchy and niassist like this.
  9. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I prefer Schon playing more melodically. And I think the "blur" in the video would become more distinct with a single-coil guitar and less midrange. That Ibanez he's playing appears to have the full Neal Schon electronics, which enhances the blur IMO.

10. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

I personally think he sounds good. His style naturally lends to the blurring of notes. I'm fine with that. No different then numerous other shredders. I dig it and I think it's really awesome that he's 60+ years old and still face melting the audience with blistering fast solos. He's giving the bird to father time! He clearly doesn't think since he's gotten older he needs to settle his playing down and play like an old man. GOOD FOR HIM!!!! I'll joyfully listen to him, Satch, Vai, Aldrich, Vivian, Skyes, Friedman, Skolnick, etc shred like mad all day! Keep it burning fellas! Keep it burning!

Hamer95USA likes this.
  11. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

Sir, your quote line is a thing of beauty.

12. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

This subject of "having good ears" is terribly misunderstood around here, and it's just embarrassing.

In music, what we describe as "good ears" is NOT the mechanical sensory perception of hearing. Hearing can be tested, just like vision. We know that dogs have a vastly superior sense of hearing than humans, for instance. In the strictly sensory realm, the vast majority of people are born with a sublimely acute and highly accurate sense of hearing. Over-exposure to loud noises damages the auditory mechanism and causes the loss of certain frequencies over time.

What musicians mean by "good ears" refers to the person's "ear training"- the amount of insight and information one can glean from simply listening to a piece of music. A guitarist with a trained ear can often hear a recording and identify the type of gear being used, whether a flat pick or fingers are being used, the chord shapes being fretted, if a pedal is part of the tone etc... that's called having an ear for tone. We all HEAR it the same, but the ability to analyze it and understand the technical components that created the sound is what distinguishes a "good ear".

A composer can hear a piece and recognize the key, the instrumentation, the counterpoint, the size of the orchestra, the chord extensions, etc...

An experienced studio engineer can hear a record and identify which compressors and microphones were likely used, the distance of the mic from the source, etc...

Therefore whenever a large group of guitar players all hear and recognize the same technical problem in a passage, it's not a function of superior mechanical hearing. It's the function of trained ears discerning a problem and trying to determine the underlying factors. Hence the ensuing discussion.

Of course in today's social climate, offering empirical analysis or holding something to a standard is bound to trigger shrieks of protests from the PC Police (Personal Censorship Police).

But that only adds to the fun.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    uab9253 and ned7flat5 like this.
  13. LP Freak

LP Freak Supporting Member

He’s looking more and more like a Paul Stanley

ntotoro and scr@tchy like this.
  14. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

I have the same opinion about Malmsteen and he's my favourite guitar player. (Please no flame :D )

When he was younger and listened to producers he wrote amazing songs and solos, melody, vibrato, control over the instrument, everything was there. When he got over his head and did what he wanted, things went downhil. He can still play really well, but he overplays everything and he tries to play songs faster, even though they sound worse and he can't handle it because he doesn't practice so much any more.

I think it's very rare to find players that do everything themselves and don't overplay or "underplay". One example that comes to mind is Richie Kotzen. He aged like fine wine!

I really like Schon's playing when he was younger. Not so much anymore.

15. DreamTheaterRules

So, I read your whole post. Twice. o_O And I'm STILL not sure if you think the gnats on Mars will bother these guys. :dunno

John Hurtt likes this.
  16. DreamTheaterRules

aka: "My sarcasm doth elude thee"

17. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

His car accident damaged his picking hand in the late 80's and although he managed to recover, that flawless picking never returned to it's previous glory.

I wish he would just accept it and try to find new things to play within his current ability. Instead he seems intent on playing the same passages he did before, even if he can't execute them the same.

Must be incredibly frustrating for him, but the refusal to adapt seems to have imprisoned him and limited his audience. A young Malmsteen is one of the greatest masters the guitar has ever seen.

BillTrantos likes this.
  18. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Electric world and Late Night are both pretty amazing as well.
    But Beyond the Thunder is a desert island disk for me.

19. big mike

2 nights in a row with the Hagar Reunion (one with samuarai hair...read Hagar's book) one night was BRILLIANT. One was utter wankage.

20. big mike

Things change, I absolutely LOVE Neal, and wish he'd go back to real amps. LOL

His latest stuff on the Santana IV album was great, not too fast. I think he plays to the crowd.

El Rey, Hamer95USA and Telefunky like this.