1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Neal Schon (Stone in Love) - my favorite lead tones

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Fantastic! Anyone have specs on what he used? Guitars and amps? Smooth, powerful, aggressively melodic, just enough gain without being bombastic. The in song leads are quite dashes of rock blues licks laid out perfectly, but the outro is off the charts good. Not chorused out, not too much delay or reverb, crisp and clean.
    Anyone able to cop this tone?
    FWIW I really love his playing but I believe he has been known to overdue with FX in more recent years?
    Discuss :)

Matteo11 likes this.
  2. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

I've always figured it's mostly LP into Marshall. The outro has some whammy bar work in it, though, so I'm not sure what axe he was using there.

3. darkknight91

darkknight91 Member

He did have Strats with Floyds on them in the early 80's.

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, on of my favorite guitar songs. It just smokes!
    Sure sounds like a Les Paul to me.

5. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

+1 on the "Fantastic" part.

Just about everything he did with Journey was so tasty and with killer tones.

I didn't notice the tones quite as much back then - how did he have so much gain and warmth and fatness on those gained out chords, for example?

Great Guitarist.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. Guitarnotsoguru

Guitarnotsoguru Ultimate Plutonium Member

Les Paul w/ P90 in the neck and Humbucker Bridge and Floyd Rose.
    Lately I believe he was using marshall DSL100's or DSL50's

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  7. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Always loved that tune

8. thirsty one

thirsty one Member

From the video posted here, it looks like his Les Paul and a whammy on it.

9. PinkPanther

PinkPanther Senior Member

Some thought he used too much delay. I don't hear it in this one but even when he used delay I thought it still worked great.

10. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

Neal's tone on the entire Escape album is stellar! :rockin:

MikeyG and Judge Smails like this.
  11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Just caught part of a recent Journey concert on TV. I happened to hear this particular song and he was using an LP with a floyd. Pretty much sounded exactly like the record including the new singer. The song started with an extended EVH style solo interlude so I got a good listen to his raw tone. He uses ALOT more gain than you think (too much IMO). Can't remember what the amps were but they ain't vintage marshalls.

12. shasha

shasha Member

Yep, one of my favorite solos and tones of all time.

13. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

He was using (mostly) an LP with a 'bucker and a P90 in the neck and a Floyd in those days. Marshalls.

He had a mashup with gibson a couple of years ago, is using mostly PRS singlecuts these days. His guitars usually have a Floyd, a Fernandes Sustainer, a passive sweepable mids-cut these days. His favorite pickups are a hotter '57 (usually in the 9.2K+ range) and a DiMarzio Fast Track II (about an 18K+ single coil size stacked humbucker) in the neck (next to the sustainer driver).

Amps are whatever is handy; he's done an entire album with a Pod XT. Onstage there are usually a bunch of Marshalls running low volume (he has tinnitus) and one Diezel facing backstage running full bore. He runs a TC Electronics G and a couple of Xotic boost pedals on stage. He uses a lot of delay these days with Journey, but NOT a lot of gain. He uses the looper (and the white strat) for Lights. I've watched him pull out an Ibanez doubleneck on occasion, and I think he's got one built by PRS that includes a short-scale 12-string neck much like his Veilette's.

On his personal albums, such as Piranha Blues, there's not a lot more than amp and guitar...

Judge Smails likes this.
  14. Ben R

Ben R Member

Back in the day, it was definitely old Marshalls and pedals. Today, it seems to be Blackstar amps and an Axe FX. Recently, on the Fractal Audio forums, Matt from Fractal said that he uses a Blackstar amp and also an Axe FX Ultra. Specifically, he said...

15. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

The Fernandez Sustainers have to play a decent part in his tone too.

16. Guitar-Mechanic

Guitar-Mechanic Member

For sure his old black LP with Floyd on it
    Maybe Boogie amp? Or a Dumble?
    I can get a pretty darn close tone with my Fender HRD and my Explorer or a Super Strat I have. No pedals just the amp

17. dazco

dazco Member

Theres a live clip on youtube from the 80's and i listened to that then listened to the studio cut and the guitar sounds are identical. In the live one he's using a black LP with a trem on it and a P90 in the neck. So i tink itl;s more than likely thats what he used on the album cut.

18. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I always use an SLO100 model for Journey stuff... (I played a real one for years and always thought it nailed that sound...)

Here's a clip of my old band's promo package... The main guitar is a custom super strat > SLO-100 > Rocktron Xpression for delay and reverb > 2x12 with Eminence GB12 speakers recorded with an SM-57... it's a little in your face and dry.. but that demo is like 8-9 years old or so before I started using a modeler.

19. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

Fantastic playing and tones. I never listened to Journey but this thread is making me start.

20. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

I just listened to the original. I think there is some detuning going on. It can also be a single repeat, very short delay. I do think that it is detuning where the detuned signal is slightly delayed. Try listening to the wammy dive he does at the end. Here the very slight delay is more evident.

strike3 likes this.