Near death experiences and DUMB luck?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 27sauce, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I often forget this even ever happened to me, partly because I didn't really "experience" it, but my mom brought it up recently.

Back in '03 my house was shot up in a drive by, sprayed, 9 .357 bullets in my bedroom alone. I was asleep in my bed at the time.

I missed the whole thing because I was so shitfaced drunk that I didn't hear the shots, or feel the shot that went between my arm and my chest. The detective said that being drunk may have saved my life, as the one that hit me was one of the first shots and all the others were higher. Meaning, I had a greater chance getting hit had sat up. I'll never know.

My mom says "you were very lucky...you're an idiot, but very lucky".

Like I said, I've forgotten/blocked it, but the older I get I feel more guilt about it. It's weird.

Anyway, that's been on my mind.

2. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I was pulling a pallet jack with 40 cases of copy paper on a skid (2000 lbs) onto a freight elevator. The overhead light was out so the area was a little dark. I opened the elevator doors, pulled back the safety gate and yanked on the pallet jack to get the skid moving to get over the hump going into the elevator. It started to move and I stepped back. No elevator. I fell 9 feet to the concrete floor below and saw the pallet jack hanging over the ledge stopped above me. If the skid had continued I would have been crushed under 2000 lbs of paper. In theory the safety gate is not suppose to open if the elevator isn't there. In theory. From the fall alone I could have been seriously injured but somehow I was just stunned and shaken up. Lesson, never assume safety devises are going to work. Oh and make sure light bulbs are replaced in work areas sooner rather than later.

3. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

wow !

4. micycle

micycle Member

In the early 90s I was driving my girlfriend and her brother to go have lunch with their grandma. It was winter in MN and we were cruising down hwy 61 at around 50mph. It didn't seem icy but all of a sudden the car started fishtailing - I hit a patch of black ice, did an entire 360 spin and somehow stopped just before the traffic signal which was red as if I was a professional stunt driver and meant to do it. How we didn't hit any other cars (I saw them in my rearview) or end up in the ditch or wrapped around a sign is beyond me.

Ever since then if I'm driving at night and it's snowing out I have to focus really hard on not freaking out. I've lived in NYC sans car for 6 years now so that's thankfully not a problem anymore!

Jamalot and 27sauce like this.
  5. ProfG

ProfG Member

I was riding my bicycle out in the country and saw this pterodactyl swooping down on me......

Sorry, that's all I got...:oops:

Lance, shane8 and ibis like this.
  6. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Mid-90s... was in the fast lane in my old '87 Honda Accord with my infant daughter in a car seat in the back. Probably doing the speed limit or a bit over - 70 mph, maybe.

A pickup truck ahead of me was transporting an engine they had pulled. They had secured it in the pickup bed with tie downs or something.

They swerved for some reason, the tie downs gave way and next thing I knew the engine had exited the truck bed and was bouncing down the freeway in my lane.

It was absolutely a "time slows down" thing for me. I remember considering my options: 1) stay in my lane and hit it (not good), 2) swerve left towards the median, which was just a K rail (not good), 3) stand on the brakes (another car close on my tail, not good) or 4) swerve right - hey, there's no one in the middle lane, let's do it.

Swerved right, watched the engine bounce past me in the fast lane, got off at the next exit, waited for my heart rate to slow down and contemplated the meaning of life, clean underwear and the maximum load bearing capacity of tie downs.

Jamalot, Lance, Knavery and 1 other person like this.
  7. Structo

Structo Member

Man that gets the heart going!

I have also had stuff fall off a truck ahead of me.
    Quick reactions are a must!

Years ago a woman was driving home after shopping.
    She lived in the country and was driving on the highway.
    A truck ahead of her lost a sheet of plywood.
    Let's just say there was not an open casket.

8. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

One day I was rock climbing at Garden of the Gods with a friend. We were about 100 feet up with no ropes, and stopped for a minute and started to talk to him. We were in an intense conversation and I took both of my hands off the handholds to gesture to him. His eyes opened up wide, and I grabbed the rock as I was tilting backwards. If you survive being a teenager you have done well.

Jamalot and 27sauce like this.
  9. headpond

headpond Member

I was coming over a hill on a back road doing about 45mph before class one day. There was a stop sign that was on the opposite side of the hill for the 3 way intersection, no warning. As soon as we came to the top of the hill everybody started screaming....it looked bad. Instinct kicked in and I down shifted...cutting the wheel hard. I had to blow the stop sign, but it was the most badassed fish-tail power turn imaginable.

There was a car stopped at the intersection as we came on the scene. If he had gone through the intersection as we came over the hill.....the truck would've rolled.

27sauce likes this.
  10. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I think it was around 1978.

(Street names have not been changed to protect the innocent because the large majority of you have no idea where they are)

I was driving down Canoga Ave. in the hills south of Ventura Blvd. and it was raining. I went around a blind turn and right in front of me there was a 15 foot sailboat blocking the whole street in both directions. Some moron was backing it into his driveway with no warning what so ever. I had less than a second to react. Of course, being a young and broke rock musician, my tires were not in the shape thy should have been so when I hit the brakes I went in to a slide. What happened next was just pure instinct. I got completely sideways at which point I took my foot off the brakes to try and control the slide. The tires caught and I went to the left into the guy's drive way. I could see the shock on his face as he watched what was happening. Now, fortunately, there are no curbs in that area. Just a grass slope going down to the street. I was somehow able to turn in the drive way without hitting the house. I went back down the hill and narrowly missed a fire hydrant at the corner as I went back into the street. Again I was fortunate that there was nobody coming the other direction. It was the most amazing bit of driving I have ever done and I have no idea how I did it. I was shaking for a long time after that.

Jamalot, 27sauce and Peteyvee like this.
  11. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Tony likes this.
  12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Too many brushes to list. In High School, my neighbor recently got his license. He was the first one to get it. We decided to pick up some guys and go play some hoops. He had one of the jacked up small toyota pickups. There were two folks in the cab...three in the bed, backs against the cab. Obviously no seat belts.
    Dick weed decided to floor it going over some RR tracks. When he landed, the tires were slightly truned and the trunk went into a weight shift as he tried to regain control. He eventually lost it...and the truck flipped several times with my two buddies and me in the truck bed. Somehow....nobody died, or was injured past a concussion...but I'll never forget seeing the truck flip over me.

13. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

some amazing stories here.
    i've been there a few times but the one (i think i've told it here before) that always comes to mind is a drinking binge while stationed at Ft Knox. in army basic training, i was on weekend leave with a couple buds. they said an old friend was now living in Louisville, had a car and would i want to go with them on a weekend bender (a popular activity for soldiers in basic). the night started out normally, going from bar to bar but the more drunk he (the friend) got, the more strange and radical he became. i remember getting in a fight at someone's house, finally getting thrown out of a bar and all the time his friends are trying to talk him down. the last time we got in the car with him behind the wheel i was thinking about calling a cab but was dead broke. we're flying thru the country and again they are pleading with him to slow it down. we were headed down a steep hill with a stoplight at the bottom and due to trees, you couldn't see sh*t either way, a blind stop. he was doing 70-80 when he blew the stoplite, luckily no one coming either way, went airborn over a bridge and touched down just in time for a steep curve to the right. all this time he's talking about how he's sick and tired of life (actually yelling) and i'm wondering how i'll get out alive. we're sliding off the curve and heading for a telephone pole, still at high speed, when i closed my eyes and prayed. i felt the hit but not much else. i shook myself awake and felt my face that i thought was covered with blood. it was broken beer bottles (and beer) from the back seat that had hit the windshield and broke ( i was in front). no seatbelt, so i'm sure i bounced off the windshield, the asshole behind the wheel woke up & looked at me and actually grinned, showing a mouth full of broken teeth and covered with blood.
    i had some torn spots on my dress uniform but no injuries. none.

27sauce likes this.
  14. harry65

harry65 Member

Jamalot, ProfG and shane8 like this.
  15. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

Driving home from work on the freeway heading southbound in the fast lane doing about 70.
    Pickup truck heading northbound lost a wheel and it came bouncing down the road and across the median headed straight for me.
    I jerked the steering wheel to get over into the right lane just before impact.
    Sadly, the young lady that was right behind me in a Honda Civic didn't make it over in time and the wheel crashed into her windshield and killed her instantly. Somehow, the Civic managed managed to coast to a stop in the median without hitting another car.

16. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I worked as a derrickman on an Air rotary drilling rig working on gas pockets in coal seams along the Arkansas River in Eastern Oklahoma.
    Natural Gas, wonderful propellant, don't even know how I stayed alive in one blowout as all I saw was a huge ball of flame coming up at me from the rig floor

Jamalot likes this.
  17. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I was going down a long twisty single lane mountain road on my motorcycle (A BMW K1300s). I was following another rider (a friend) and he overtook some cars. I overtook as well and it was slightly blind around the corner and very steep and narrow with large drops off the side of the mountain.

As I overtook a large truck was coming up the hill and I was heading straight for it. Somehow everything went in slow motion and I managed to get between the oncoming truck and car I was overtaking (ie in the centre of the road) while I was going around a tight steep corner.

How I missed the truck and the car I'll never know. It was like a nightmare and it was my fault too.

Jamalot, Peteyvee and Sidney Vicious like this.
  18. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Not sure if this was dumb luck, or just a bad decision that resulted in probably saving my life, but I was super excited to go see Great White in Warwick, that night of the awful night club fire.
    It just so happened my college roommate received a rather sticky package in the mail earlier that day, which inevitably lead to me falling asleep and missing the concert.
    Thankfully I haven't touched the stuff in over a decade, but I'd like to think it helped me out that night.

Jamalot, Clifford-D, BKL71 and 2 others like this.
  19. cadduc

cadduc Member

back in around 68, i was camping with friends at seacliff (?) beach south of santa cruz, where the cement boat is, it was night we were all drunk and we went into the water, after body surfing for about a half hour, I was hit by a succession of three waves, the last one had me rollin and tumblin, I could not find the bottom or the surface, it seemed an eternity, at the last moment, I felt the bottom, and pushed off breaking the surface about ten/twelve feet above me

back to shore, next to the fire, I didn't go back into the water that night, and I make it a rule, not to go into the water when I am drunk or at night

one time after a gig, three of us lit out to join friends camping in Yosemite, it was dark and at about 4 in the morning, we came over a rise to see a freightliner, the truck with a flat face and a us flag painted on front, coming at us in our lane, just feet away bearing down on us, jay the driver and I screamed, he jerked to the right into the ditch/shoulder, waking up paul who was sleeping on the back seat, we pulled over for a few minutes after that before we went on

20. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

OMG :rotflmao here is the synopsis:

Dianne is a shepherd, watching over flock of sheep. She is sworn to protect them against any predators– no matter the size. But when a flock of pterodactyls attack, Dianne has no choice but to use herself as bait to draw their attention away from her precious flock. One pterodactyl swoops in and picks her up, taking her to his nest. She fully expects to be eaten by the massive beast, but when it starts to peck her clothes away, leaving her naked, she begins to understand that the pterodactyl might have carnal pleasures in mind. Dianne finds herself excited by the prospect and acquiesces. But can Dianne accommodate such a massive

harry65 likes this.