Nearfield monitors....what are you currently using?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Voodoo Soul Blues, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Voodoo Soul Blues

Voodoo Soul Blues Supporting Member

I’ve been using KRK v4 series 2 for about ten years (roughly) now and I am still really happy with them.......I always check my mixes on other speakers but these are definitely what I use 90 percent of the time.
    They have proven the test of time, they are reliable sonically and they sound great.
    One of the few things in my recording/mixing arsenal I haven’t felt the need to change.

What are you you currently using?
    Why do you like/dislike them?

2. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Yorkville YSM5. Really solid monitors with lots to like.

Pros:

Relatively subdued looks*
    Front ports (SO important for near-fields in small rooms)
    HF sensitivity option
    Great, clinical sound
    Surprisingly solid low end

Cons:
    *Power switch lights up blue - not a big deal for some, but I don't like stuff that lights up unnecessarily
    Not quite enough jam for electronic styles without a sub

I've been contemplating jumping up to a set of YSM8s on stands, purely because I'm doing a lot of synth stuff these days and like to hear more of what's happening on the low end. For rock-oriented mixes, the 5s are PLENTY though.

3. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Supporting Member

I use a set of Event TR6’s. In the market for another pair now. Looking for smaller size speakers. Was gonna go with 8” but the material I work with regularly doesn’t really need me to use that big. The TR’s have great bottom end. What was really enlightening was when I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm headphones..I’ve been remixing/remastering ever since. Wow, I wasn’t hearing everything I should have. What sounded good before and in the car etc. sounds like complete ass now. They really opened my eyes and ears to the subtle frequencies and nuances I couldn’t notice before.

4. the29band

the29band Member

5. Voodoo Soul Blues

Voodoo Soul Blues Supporting Member

Beyer’s Are great, I recently bought a pair of 1990’s and love them......all of the phones they make are top quality though.....I bought my sister a pair of Beyer’s that were new last year....for everyday listening......$99 for the pair.....I forget the model number.......but they sound fantastic.....high quality....very impressed.
    I’ve been thinking of a pair of 770’s to use for recording.....enjoy!

Captngeetch likes this.
  6. makerdp

makerdp Member

I use the JBL 306p mkii... https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/

Great monitors. Should be on everyone's "short list" if you are shopping for new monitors.

They translate very well, especially in the highs. 6" is a great middle-ground between 5" (bass-light) and 8" (too much bass in your typical "home converted bedroom" mixing environment.)

But, if you are shopping for monitors thinking this will suddenly make your mixes better but you have an untreated or under-treated (ie poorly-treated) room, you are wasting your money.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  7. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before

I've been using ATC SCM16As for about the last... 15 years? I love everything about them and there's nothing I dislike except that the "on/off" switch is a bit shoddy (so I just keep them on).

hotrats73 and Joe O like this.
  8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Adam A5's for at least 5-6+ years, maybe more.

DeadHorse likes this.
  9. Joe O

Joe O Member

KEF LS50W's w/ SVS SB-1000 subwoofer.

Great coaxial imaging. Almost 3-D center image.

Low end is impressive, but still there are limits. Distorts at high volume by themselves, but the sub takes care of that very well.

Like a lot of coaxials, the high end dispersion isn't the greatest. But it's very accurate.

Had a part failure, but KEF fixed it for free out of warranty.

Regardless of your speakers, highly recommend Equalizer APO. Spend some time tuning the system (after treating the room). Big improvement, with just a few very small cuts on some nodes.

Have used in the past:
    JBL 305 (original)
    Yamaha NS-10M Studio w/ subs
    Altec Big Red's
    Auratones
    UREI 813 coax
    EV Sentry 100A

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  10. ieso

ieso Member

20-year-old pair of Tannoy

I guess the co. (or what's left of it) ain't what it used to be the these are pretty good ... better with correction software.

Kinda wondering what I'll go with when they bite the dust.

Madsen likes this.
  11. jmoose

jmoose Member

Main pair for the last bajillion years are Dynaudio BM15 passive with a Hafler Transnova amp. Probably 15 years +/- 3dB.

Bought these after a set of Smackie 824s that had numerous problems, kept blowing fuses and so on. Went out and listened to everything at every price, these were the monitors that seemed to open up and reveal details that other boxes smeared together. Like looking through a perfectly clear piece of glass vs stained glass. Not pleasant to listen to but that's sorta the point, they don't make things sound good so ya gotta dig deep.

I also dig those little KRKs 5 and as a freelancer drag those around from shop to shop when I'm traveling. Kinda hyped sure, but I like that about them.

[​IMG]

peter_heijnen, Joe O, Teal_66 and 2 others like this.
  12. sws1

sws1 Member

Adam A7x along with a 8" (I think) Adam sub.

toddincharlotte and DeadHorse like this.
  13. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Focal Solo 6 BE's for the past 10 years. Hope I don't have to buy anything for a long time.

JED HRMC and DeadHorse like this.
  14. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Some generic Gemini SR8 actives that I got on closeout for about $200. With Sonarworks, they sound just fine.

15. StratmanSteve

StratmanSteve Member

I'm using a pair of JBL Series 3 305P mkII monitors. Got them on sale along with monitor stands.

16. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Equator Q8
    Pros:
    • Sound good at mid-field range/volume
    • Coax design
    • Balance down to lower frequencies than generally available in smaller monitors
    Cons:
    • Equator no longer in business
    • Room correction software was never that great

17. Sleezy E

Sleezy E Member

Me too, paired with an old rokit10s. Awesome monitors.

[​IMG]

DeadHorse likes this.
  18. idylldon

idylldon Supporting Member

Me too. Love them.

[​IMG]

DeadHorse and PBGas like this.
  19. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Anyone tried the RCF’s? Most of their stuff is very well regarded, but I’ve seen no feedback at all on their studio monitors.

20. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

In our studio we use (and deeply love) a pair Dynaudio Air25 as main stereo monitors in Room A and 5 Neumann kh120 for the 5.1 mixes.
    In Room B we have another pair of kh120, and JBL 305 in edit room.

At home I have a pair of Jbl.

I rellay loved the atc 1 scm16a pro (or somethin like that) they had in a studio where I worked for many years.