Nearfield monitors....what are you currently using?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Voodoo Soul Blues, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I love it: A Neotek series 1 from, what... the 1980s? You know, that might even have come out of one of our studios. We had a couple, one of which had a pair of VU meters and LED ladders in a turret that could be moved around in the room. The guy who bought it didn't want the turret so I kept it:
    [​IMG]

I work in a studio with a LEDE control room and really don't have near fields. I've got UREI 813s in the soffit and JBL LSR4328Ps with a KRK 12S2 subwoofer in the near field.
    [​IMG]

Here's an 813b/c with the cover off:
    [​IMG]

Interestingly, I found a pair if the UREIs' little brother, the 811C, at fire sale prices and bought them for home. They've got just the the 15" coaxial driver/tweeter. During the coronavirus isolation I've moved my sound design work home and I'm working with them in the mid-field. Here's an old pic:
    [​IMG]

Bob

hotrats73, jmoose and Pete Cage like this.
  2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

D5's got a lot of love here for a while. I'm guessing that the direct model wasn't working so well for them.

3. idylldon

idylldon Supporting Member

It's actually a Series II from around 1983 and it's a 32-channel frame loaded with 28 channels. It was originally in Goldmine Recording Studio (Ventura, CA), then went to a place in Chicago, then it came to me, and my studio is up in the San Jacinto Mountains in So Cal. It's had some extensive mods over the years with upgrades to all the ICs, a complete cap job, which I did right after I got it, repairs to previous "tech" work, and a balanced output section. LOVE the board and won't get rid of it until I close the studio. It's all the board I'll ever need.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Captngeetch and jmoose like this.
  4. xzacx

xzacx Member

Adam S1Xs—one of the best gear investments I've ever made.

5. jmoose

jmoose Member

You like the Urei's open field like that? Years ago I had a pair of 809, got them with a Trident desk and a lot of other gear from another studio. I never liked them as much as I did in the original space I bought out. I think it was a combination of not having them in soffits and also that I couldn't get far enough away for them to make any sense. It was always like chucking razor blades at my ear, no low end. Tried to dial them in with graphic EQ which helped, somewhat, but eventually they had to go.

Sonic Youth had a set of 813's they bought for I think $500? Drug 'em back their studio on Murray Street via the NYC subway. They didn't really mix on them, only wanted to crank 'em up for super loud guitar overdubs in the control room and they certainly worked for that!

Crowder likes this.
  6. Voodoo Soul Blues

Voodoo Soul Blues Supporting Member

We had a pair of 813’s in each studio at Media.....(4 pairs) back in the ‘80s.......almost everyone used them......those, ns10’s.....and aura tones....

jmoose likes this.
  7. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Yamaha HS8, with the HS8S sub. Sound good in my 20'x30' room. Can get way louder than I need. With the sub, they handle the extended low end of my basses, keyboards and VDrums well. Sounded better than anything else on the floor at GC when I bought them, which admittedly is not saying much, but I’m pretty happy with them.

The one thing I would like to have one day are some monitors with a silkier top end, which I’ve heard in high end stereo systems.

8. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

I totally dig my Adam A7x pair with a KRK sub. I dial the sub in for low volume work and dial it out for higher volume "final mix" type stuff. Once you've heard a pair, or any pair with ribbon tweeters, you'll realize why people rave. The detail is amazing.

Voodoo Soul Blues likes this.
  9. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

The 811Cs start rolling off at 120hz so they aren't the best things in the world by themselves. However, I found a subwoofer that rolls in on the same curve and at the same frequency turnpoint as the 811Cs. When I put the right on a RTA it has amazingly smooth response. The beauty of the UREIs is a smooth, smooth midrange and a high end that doesn't icepick your ears. You have to work for your highs, as it were, because it is quite mellow. I've mixed on the 813B/Cs for thirty-two years so I've become quite used to their response. That's the beauty of having the same main driver at work and home. By the way, the 813B/Cs are the transitional model that came out after JBL bought UREI. The 811Cs are from three years later when they'd changed both the woofer and the tweeter. They are quite a bit sweeter, if you will, in the upper end than the 813B/Cs. They sit along the wall of a 30' long by 15' deep room with a cathedral ceiling that slants from 10' above the speakers to 18' above the back wall. I run the monitors in the mid-field for pro work and sit a bit further away on the couch for home theater. The back speakers are Boston Acoustics A150s and the center speaker is a Boston Acoustics center. This rig is based upon the surround rig that Leslie Ann Jones was using in the '90s, if I remember right. Basically, as the parts became available at ridiculous prices I was able to build it up.

Bob

Voodoo Soul Blues and jmoose like this.
  10. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

Adam A7. They work just fine.

11. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Dynaudio BM5 MKII and 30 year old Yamaha NS-10M's with a Hafler power amp.

12. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

KRK6 G3’s but I’ve got a pair of Neumann KH120’s coming today. I’ll most likely be glad to be rid of the KRK’s.

13. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

As of yesterday I have two sets of Genelecs. The 8010's have 3" woofers and the 8030's have 5" woofers. Honestly there is less difference than you'd expect. If I was a more experienced mixer I could probably do everything on the small speakers. I'm not, so I'll probably keep the bigger ones. But there's not much sense in keeping both. They do basically the same job.

Devnor likes this.
  14. Voodoo Soul Blues

Voodoo Soul Blues Supporting Member

Let us know how you like the 120’s!

15. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Supporting Member

Tannoy Reveal 802

16. stephenT

stephenT Member

Crowder likes this.
  17. Devnor

Devnor Member

Genelec 8351 monitors.

18. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

So far, so good. I had a chance to break them in and then was tracking all night, so not really paying full attention to the mix just yet. What I have noticed so far is much better clarity in the top end (which always bugged me on the KRKs) and less bass, which is a good thing. More to come!

Voodoo Soul Blues likes this.
  19. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

Some 25 years, passive Dynaudio BM10's. It takes a decent amp to make these babies sing.

20. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

Aren't you confused with the motorcycle brand? :D