Nearly obsessed with my Suhr esquire...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shallbe, Jun 19, 2006.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

This Suhr Esquire is just so fine. I can't quit playing it. Acoustically it just rings and has this piano-like bass.

The finish on the neck is hard as a nail and felt completely broken-in on the first day. While the neck is thinner than I would typically go for (60's vintage), it is perfect on this guitar. The rosewood board is dark, wavy & beautiful, hard and smooth (Indian, not Brazilian). It looks old----nothing like you see on many CS guitars today. Plus the 9-12 radius is the way to go, IMO. I have another Suhr Classic that was custom-built for me with the 10-14, and I like the 9-12 better.

I bought this guitar due to my love of Teles and T-types, digging the simplicity and the cool vintage white color. I was looking for a custom shop Fender, but found this in a web search at Indoor Storm. I had to try it after Eddie said he thought it was among the 5 best intruments he has ever had in his shop. I've been playing it for 3 months now, and have tweaked the pickup to get both tradtional bridgeTele tones and early Zep sounds.

I took it to a local Fender dealer and let a bunch of guys play it while we checked out other Teles. They were very impressed. I own another Suhr, and it is a great guitar, but this Esquire is an exeptional instrument. Suhr may not be known for Esquires, but he builds a damn fine one. My search is over. Check one out if you can!

2. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

Wow, what a coincidence! I must have bought the other 4!

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

Post some pictures please!!!:JAM :Devil :D

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Aye...unfair and baiting post must be accompanied by pics to satiate the :drool:

John totally channels Leo on his version. They are incredible T's with the proper amount of Attitude. I want ten.

5. shallbe

I will try to take some soon.

6. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Wait, I thought I had at least 2. :NUTS In all seriousness, Eddie is a straight up guy and I trust and respect him like few others. If he says it's a great guitar, then I believe him. A standout guitar is a standout, regardless.

7. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
  8. shallbe

That is the one! Thanks for the picture! It now proudly resides in my home. I've got 14 guitars that I really dig and have owned for quite some time---this one is a standout among them.

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Steve, agreed, that is a fantastic guitar. I played it once at Indoor Storm and was blown away by it. Congrats! I was too chicken to buy a single pickup guitar - fearing that it would force me to learn to play better! :D Glad you had the guts!

10. shallbe

I also wanted to point out that it has no body contours, just a regular Tele shape. The things that aren't vintage spec are the SS frets, the jack cup, and the staggered tuners that eliminate the string tree---all of which are improvements, IMO.

11. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

That thing looks fantastic.

I have a Rick Kelly Protocaster (A lot like an esquire with a square peghead). I am amazed at how much more you get from the bridge pickup without any neck pickup around.

The Suhr must sound magnificent.

12. shallbe

Thanks! It really does sound great. The color is a little more yellow than shows in that picture. One cool change a buddy did was get rid of the resistor and change the cap on the front position of the switch. Now it ges this cool "notched wah" sound with overdriven tones. I can bend a note and move the switch back and forth for some really nice, vocal effects.