neck adjustment question - is it warped ot twisted?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 60HzShuffle, Sep 3, 2006.

1. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Hey All:

I just got a MIM strat because the new models have medium jumbo frets and I put 10's on it. Anyway, as I sight down the neck (from headstock to body) I see a small dip inwards from about the 4th to 8th fret on the bass side. As I tighten the neck to reduce the relief, the dip gets a bit worse. The treble side looks fairly straight before and after truss rod tweek. How much dip is normal on the bass side and is this normal? I am just trying to figure out if it is a bad neck. On my EJ, that sucka is dead straight relative to the strings as I look down the neck.

2. rooster

rooster Member

This happens on a LOT of necks. Generally, it's not too big of a deal, but it's the difference between a good guitar and a great guitar. A great neck won't have that happen, but for what a MIM guitar costs, you're not going to get Fender Custom Shop quality. That's all there is to it. The strings put different tensions on the neck, and the neck, being wood, will react differently in different spots.

rooster.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Hmmm...if you fret at the 1st and 14th I'm of the opinion that the string should ring. If its dead straight it won't and you'll likely have buzzing frets. I had a guitar that appeared to have a warped neck like yours but when I put the straightedge on the frets it was fine. The application of the finish was tricking my eyes.

4. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

just a little back bow is good and needed like ya said.

this image shows the need for a little bow for people just learning about necks.

[​IMG]

If you add a new set of 10's and it was setup for 9's the neck should bow a bit more...

Try to loosen the T_rod or have it setup for your 10's at the shop.

5. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

The issue was not the amount of relief, it was the neck had a twist as you sight down the neck (distance from 6th string to the edge of the neck). I sent it back.

6. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

Not sure if a twist or a bow, I am talking about micro ajustments anyway.

twists need returning if you realy have one.

You can have incressed bow on the bass side only, this takes some skill and is not the norm. talking only about micro ajustments.