neck alignment question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by prkaye, Feb 9, 2012.

1. prkaye

prkaye Member

I just got my Wolfgang Special today.
    One thing I've noticed is that towards the upper frets the high E string is closer to the edge of the neck than the low E string. In otherwords, the strings are not running quite parallel to the neck.
    Is this normal? Is it adjustable?

2. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Bolt on necks do shift from time to time. Loosen the neck screws slightly and shift the neck back to where it needs to be using the strings as a guide. Tighten the screws again and retune.

3. prkaye

prkaye Member

hmm, i was just looking at photos of other wolfgang specials on sweetwater, and it appears this is how they all are. Check out http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WolfSPVW/
    and do the mouse-over the photo so it zooms in. Looking carefully at the upper frets, you can see the high E string is closer to the edge of the neck than the low E string is. It's the same on all the Wolfgang Specials they have photos of.
    So I guess this is by design? I wonder why?

4. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

first, i would spend some time playing it a while and see if its effecting your playing at all

second, like mentioned above loosen the neck and try reseting the neck.

if that doesn't work and its still bothering you might want to get a new nut cut for the guitar. that will definitely shift the strings to the center.

I just realized the evh probably has a floyd if it does you could try and loosen the bolts that hold the nut in place and see if it shifts at all.

I bought a after market neck one time and was having a similar problem and thats what fixed it

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

This should fix it.

6. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Neck side to side angle is off. To fix it properly you'd need to plug the holes with dowells and red rill the holes to align properly.

Kinda sad the stock photo is of a guitar with the angle off

7. 335guy

335guy Member

I have a Tele that had a similar issue. The neck pocket on the body was ever so slightly larger that the neck butt. So, I simply loosened the neck screws a bit and pulled the headstock up, which shifted the string alignment so the high E was more parallel to the side of the neck, then re-tightened the neck screws. Problem solved. If the string alignment down by the nut is even, then the bridge was installed slightly off center. If the high E is closer to the side of the neck than the low E down by the nut, then the nut was cut wrong. Depending on the saddles on that guitar, those can sometimes be shifted ever so slightly over to bring a string closer into alignment. That's one of the features of those old Tele threaded saddles. It makes aligning the strings pretty easy. Of course, these don't help your problem. Factory design or flaw?

[​IMG]

8. prkaye

prkaye Member

This basically worked. I had to apply a fair bit of pressure, and it's not perfect, but the high and low E strings are equally spaced between the edges of the fingerboard now to within 1/32 of an inch at the 22nd fret. Close enough that I'll never notice the difference when playing.
    Disappointing to have to do this on a brand new guitar! But returning to Sweetwater for service would mean shipping hassles and being without a guitar for several days.