Neck back profile - Warmoth Clapton vs. "soft/super soft V"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitarist58, Apr 1, 2008.

1. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Anyone know how these compare? I don't want a neck back that feels like a triangle :( and I'm thinking Warmoth's standard thin may be a bit too thin for me...

I love the neck profiles of many Dean guitars (like my Korean Cadillac), and I've heard they are a "soft v"

Thanks for any insights :eek:

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The Warmoth is a soft V not really the same as the fender.Having said that the Claptons vary quite a bit too.

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

The Warmoth "Clapton" is a great shape. It's not too small, not too big kinda deal. Everyone I know who has tried mine has loved it. It's a pretty gentle V - some can't even feel it but I can, and I like a gentle V. I agree - suspect the standard thin would be too thin for me.

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The standard thin is similar in size to Gibson's thin 60's profile, but not as round. The standard thin caused my hand to hurt. I went with the '59 back profile and couldn't be happier. The SRV, Clapton, and '59 profiles are very close in size, with the only major differences being the assymetrical ("worn") front edge on the SRV, and the v-shape of the Clapton.

5. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Thanks so much for your replies! This gives me a much better idea of what they're like than Warmoth's little drawings :)