Neck Dive and Weight - Gibson SG and DC Jrs...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by supercreep, Jan 21, 2015.

1. supercreep

supercreep Member

Is there a weight range for double cut Juniors and SG juniors where neck dive is generally not a problem? Both with three on a plate tuners. I don't want to go any more than necessary on the weight but don't want to have neck dive issues either. The reason why I ask is because I may buy online.

Thanks

2. kennybro

kennybro Member

There's a lot more to consider than just overall weight here. Does it have a whammy? What's the weight ratio of body to neck? Have tuners been replaced with Grovers or some such thing? Humbucker or original P90?

I've owned three Jr's. All have been well enough balanced. All were 100% stock, no mods. My current Jr, a 64, feels totally even when hanging. Probably 6 pounds total.

Neck wood weight is critical, far more important than body wood weight, although most mahogany necks from the early 60's are carefully selected. Later SG's across the board I've played seem to suffer more from dive, as less care went in to wood selection and matching. Also 70's SG's are more likely to have heavier retrofit tuners than early 60's models. Recent models seem to be very well mated for balance.

I'd ask the seller about balance, and make it clear that if the guit suffers from serious neck dive, it's returnable. Any reputable dealer will be up front about that.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Most SGs suffer from at least a little bit of neck dive unless you've got three pickups and a tremolo on there, like the LP/SG Customs. I have a '61 Reissue that has a little bit of neck dive, but a leather-backed strap or cloth-backed strap has usually taken care of this issue.

Its something I just dealt with, because the tonal benefits far outweighed the neck issue for me. I can't comment on the DC juniors.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If the neck dive issue is minor, not huge, you may find swapping the tuner heads, if they're metal and/or large sized, for small ebony heads to be helpful (it has been for me with other guitars). You wouldn't think a couple of ounces would matter but as Archimedes would explain, it's the "lever" effect (those little tuner heads are sitting near the "lever's" end).

[​IMG]

5. sliberty

sliberty Member

On my DC Junior, I moved the strap button to the upper horn rather than the neck heel. This was originally done to avoid tip-over caused by my big gut, but as a side effect, it also helps avoid neck dive.

6. supercreep

supercreep Member

Thanks for the replies.

I am referring to stock, 1 p-90, non-trem models with three on a plate tuners - plastic buttons, sorry I should have been more detailed. Have had a SG JR and a DC JR both with grovers before - won't travel down that road again.

6.5 - 7lbs safe?

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2014 SG Standard that weighs 5.1 pounds. No neck dive, even when it had robotuners.

8. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

Kluson style tuners, a 2.5" leather strap and you'll be fine. If you're really afraid of neck dive, go with a model with a thin neck.

9. derekstudt

derekstudt Member

I've owned 3 SGs over the years.

'64 Jr
    '00 Special
    '01 Standard (currently own this one)

All have had a little bit of neck dive. It's never really bothered me much though. Unless you regularly intend to let go of your guitar while its hanging around your neck, I'm not sure why it would be that big of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ispunk

ispunk Supporting Member

A leather strap with an unfinished back is your best bet with a SG or DC Jr. You can always throw some lead fishing lures on the back stap button too (just kidding but I remember someone made a weight to hang off the back before...can't remember the name of it)

11. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

This^^^ It was one of Gibson's biggest mistakes to put the strap button on the heal of the neck. If they had put it on the horn like every other guitar manufacturer (that isn't just copying Gibson) then this thread would not exist.

12. sliberty

sliberty Member

Moving the strap button also solves another problem. Since I use strap locks on all of my guitars, its convenient to have the strap buttons in the same place on all of my guitars (at least all I can control). This allows me to use the same strap without having to twist the strap for the lock to face the right way.

13. Kato10

Kato10 Member

Yep, seems to be all about the front button position and very little about the weight. Every guitar I've owned with the button on the back has had this issue and I've had them in all different weights.