Neck finishes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple of guitars in the stable now so I can do hard core comparitive analysis of each one and I'm finding I am not a maple fretboard guy, but a maple + rosewood fretboard guy... (all of these years, who knew?)
    :jo
    Anyway, my current fave (G&L ASAT Tribute Special) has a VERY light, satin-type finish and I'm wondering what style this is so when I look for new guitars (or replacement necks) I know what to ask for. It's almost as if the back of the neck is like 1 or 2 steps away from being unfinished.
    It's weird but out of my 5 electrics, they each go up in neck finish amount/glossiness from this one to super high, almost annoyingly high finish on the back AND the fretboard.

2. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

I dont know what G&L uses , but would assume it is a satin urethane finish as most mfg's use today.
    I'd guess if its an older piece its likely a gloss urethane , maybe lacquer.
    you may want to call them for verification . the satin finish wont last real long if its your main player.
    so if you're like me not wanting a dirty/stained maple board.
    check into it.

I really like using "tru-oil" by birchwood casey.
    its a hybrid tung/linseed oil used on gunstocks..
    it does not yellow and it holds up on the fingerboard very nicely.

a nice thing about this product is that it dries fast so you can apply multiple coats in a day. it also builds fast.
    youre not applying 5-6 coats for a film build... 2-3 is generally enough on a bare neck.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I like an "oil" finish. I think manufacturers use an oil/varnish mix for fast production. I use polymerized tung oil on my projects. Tru Oil is another good product. My MIM Robert Cray has a polyurethane neck that while thick and glossy, is also not bad for friction and has a nice colour. My Larrivee acoustic has a very thin nitro finish on the neck which is sweet too. The only finish I don't like is Gibsons with the sticky neck. I don't know why this is.

4. HHB

HHB Member

tru-oil is addictive, both my main guitars have the tru-oil finish and thry feel amazing!

5. Quarter

Quarter Member

You got that right. I started out with the little 3 oz bottles, told myself just a little bit.
    Now I'm lusting for the 8 oz bottles and fighting off the urge to buy a gallon for stash .... ;)

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I got a replacement neck for one of my guitars and it has that same, satin finish on it that I love. It's VERY think though so I guess Tru-Oil can be applied overtop without any issues to keep it sealed in and thicken it up a bit?
    More importantly, can this Tru-oil be applied to a guitar body as well? I resanded my partscaster and just restained it using minwax dark walnut... it looks really good (way better than the first go round) and I can't decide if I should use Tung oil or some type of clear coat aerosol? Opinions? Eacy application and faster curing time would be really nice.

7. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

One of my all time favorite finishes on a neck is abosultely no finish, not even oil. I built a guitar using a Tom Anderson body, back when he was still selling replacement parts, and a USA Jackson neck with the Fender style headstock. I requested the neck be raw after trying my friend's USA Jackson which he had built with a raw finished neck. Personally, I love the feeling of the raw wood. But of course the neck did get naturally oiled from my hands after a lot of playing! Yeah, it did look a bit gross after a while, so I'd have to go over the back of the neck with steel wool to clean it when it got too blackened. :eek:

A nice compromise is my Grosh RC. I requested to have a nice oiled finish which offered a tad bit more protection to the neck than just bare wood. But it still gets that nice grungy feel and look a lot faster than if it had a laquer finish! :D

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I love that grungy look 5150. Plus it usually keeps people from playin' your guitar-ha.