1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

neck heavy instruments???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Why do builders continue to do this? The acid test is whether an instrument will stay at a 45 degree angle on a strat without an arm to hold it down. I (and others) don't lay my right arm on the body when I play so if an instrument does a neck-dive, it's an instant deal-breaker. I'm just surprised that many builders continue to ignore this simple rule...

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Maybe they test them out with leather straps so it's not an issue? Or maybe they don't want to mess with the sound. I mean, to me the Gibson LP is an ergonomic nightmare, but any modifications to it that would make it more comfortable would undoubtedly change the "classic LP sound".

-Austin

3. kselbee

kselbee Member

I know.... I had a Hamer Studio Custom that was an awesome guitar but just couldn't deal with the balance so I sold it. What a shame.... could have been the one.

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Just line the control cavity with lead :D. I'm only half joking - I've thought of ways to balance some guitars, but they all involve adding weight to the ass end somehow. A 3" wide leather strap might give you some temporary relief though -

5. jzucker

None of the gibson guitars are neck heavy except maybe the firebird, so that's a moot point.

6. jzucker

A suede strap can help but some guitars are beyond that. I won't list them out of courtesy to the builders. ;)

7. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Each to their own, but to me, ergonomics are the single most important feature of a guitar. With enough effort, I can find a way to deal with anything else but to me, a guitar that doesn't hang well is an unplayable instrument.

8. prsflame

prsflame Member

I agree. If it doesn't hang/balance well, I can't bond with it. Another thing that *I've* experienced, is that the guitars with Rosewood necks that I've owned or played were all neck heavy, and didin't balance properly. Perhaps it's simply related to the few examples I've checked out, but I purposely stay away from Rosewood neck guitars for this reason.

9. froglord

froglord Member

But this would add to the weight. A better solution is to tie a giant helium balloon to the headstock. :D

10. jzucker

Agreed and your instruments are always a pleasure to play for that reason.

11. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I found the SG I had to be very neck heavy. Thats why I ended up selling it.

12. jrw32

jrw32 Member

I agree, I've had some great playing/sounding/looking Hamers, but at the end of the day, their neck-heaviness "brought me down" so ended up selling, even w/ a good strap.

13. jzucker

Yep...The good strap thing is a hack at best. The problem is that it will pull your shirt up when the neck dives.

14. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

my sg custom is neck heavy...and i love it! don't know why, but heavy necks don't bother me.

15. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

Had an SG that I LOVED that I sold for this very reason. JAZ is right. there's no reason for a player to have to fight with the guitar. The player should be able to stand with the guitar on a strap and totally let go and the guitar stays hanging in the same position.

The Swans have always been so balanced that it's like they become an extension of the player. I know that's cliche, but it's true.

I like sports cars for the same reason...

16. jzucker

Yeah, hamer is particularly guilty as is prs with their hollowbody. The thinline eastmans have a problem too. I've found that mounting a strap button at the neck heel makes a difference on some guitars. (The eastman for example).

PRS should move the strap button on their HB guitars.

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

To me tone and the feel of the neck is the single most important thing about a guitar. A Gibson SG is neck heavy, but who cares, when I'm are into playing a song it's not anything I've ever thought or worried about until seeing this thread. I did notice when I used a nylon strap and had both hands off the guitar, the neck did slowly drop ....but I didn't freak out over it and sell the guitar.

18. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

I've played a few that were extremely neck-heavy, and sold them. I've had others that were just slightly, but sounded so good I kept them. To me, a slightly heavy neck is only one of many factors, none of which I would consider "deal-breakers" in and of themselves.

A

19. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

And SG's and (probably) their 24-fret DC guitars (since they were semi-hollow) and maybe the rest of their double cuts (Juniors, Specials and the like).

Also, my guess is the majority of people who own guitars don't worry too much about ergonomic (heck, the majority of people who own guitars probably have them stuffed under their beds or in their closets and never play them). Or at least they worry about looks more than ergonomics. Someone who's buying a guitar with a picture like this in their mind as inspiration probably isn't worried too much about ergonomics :rotflmao

[​IMG]

Personally, I wish there were more headless guitar designs out there (with trems please!). Compact and ergonomic, but evidently not appealing to most buyers.
    -
    Austin

20. jzucker

If you wear your guitar at your knees and just play barre chords, it may not be anything to worry about but if you are playing intricate lines, neck heavy is a deal-breaker.

Who cares?!? I CARE.