Neck/nut headstock joint crack les paul HELP

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by what?, Dec 3, 2007.

1. what?

what? Member

Hi guys, I've got an edwards les paul shipped from Japan and when I got it I found these two cracks here shown in the picture on both sides of the joint. Its exactly where the nut and headstock meet.

Its being held at the post office for 3 months now. I'm still hoping the insurance would finally be done and they'd replaced my broken paul with a new guitar. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

There's nothing broken there except the finish. Probably got whacked just hard enough to stress the nut/fingerboard/binding/neck joint, but nothing broke. Just flexed enough to stress and crack the finish.

EL34, Chris Scott and Zeegler like this.
  3. what?

what? Member

So there's nothing to worry about?not worth "fixing"? it wont be worsen with string tension etc etc?

4. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

Probably the wood expanding from a change in temperature. Its fine.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it probably is fine, but it would drive me nuts every time i saw it. i would hold out for the replacement.

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

tension would actually hold it together I would think

7. David Collins

David Collins Member

"Nothing to worry about" is of course relative. Structurally, no, there's no structural damage there, it's just the finish.

Will it worsen over time? Maybe. Not structurally, but finish cracks and crazes over time, and those cracks like to spread from some catalyzing point of origin. Ten or twenty years of cyclic humidity changes, and yes the cracks will likely spread, along with others that will inevitably have started by then.

Yes I say it's nothing to worry about, but of course Walter's point is very good as well. It's a new instrument, and it seems like a bummer to have that bugging you to start out with. Waiting for a replacement would be nice, but I personally would opt to get a repair quote from a shop, file a damage claim for that amount, then take the reimbursement and leave it how it is. Call it a scratch and ding discount. That's fine for me, because the cracks wouldn't bother me much at all. If they bug you, then by all means it's fair to go for a replacement. That way you at least have the honor of putting the first dings and scratches in it yourself. ;)

8. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

On a new guitar, that would drive me nuts, If it were mine id be looking a replacement.

bryan

9. in a little row

in a little row Member

Guess Ill be the ass...
    I disagree...it looks like it could be deeper than just the finish to me...theres a crack in the binding in the first pic, is fretboard weakened...plus you cant see under the nut or between the nut and the headstock, although there doesnt seem to be a separation...regardless, the crack in the finish will spread...

Hold out for another one...you buy a new guitar it should be pristine...dont compromise and keep it, even for a discount/reimbursment

j

10. dandaniel11

dandaniel11 Member

hi guys im new here... just got the same problem... will it break? i alwas imagine myself holding the headstock in one hand..and the neck in the other hand.. help....? i dont know how to add my photo...

11. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

The seller needs to adjust the price. If he charged you one a high shipping fee I'd start with that. and let him fight it out with the carrier.

12. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

Just a finish crack IMO. The binding isn't actually cracked, just the finish. No big deal unless it bugs you. As mentioned, try to get a hefty discount or if it bothers you that much, wait for a new one. It wouldn't bother me in the least. Chances are, unless you are extremely careful with your guitars, it will gather some minor bumps and bruises along the way anyway.

13. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

It looks like finish cracks to me. Like others have said, ask for a new guitar if you paid for a new guitar. Unless... it really kicks arse and you loooove it. The replacement won't be the same guitar, y'know? If you keep this one, see if the finish can be repaired and your seller/shipper will pay for it?

14. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

This thread is literally a decade old. Nice.

15. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

they are just wrinkles.

16. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Well, it's been 10 years. How are those finish cracks, clearly caused by undue pressure on the headstock, doing today? Hope the guitar was returned, as there's no earthly reason other than pure laziness to keep a purchased item that has visible, obvious damage, even if it's just cosmetic.