Neck pickup choice help!

I am in the process of putting together a guitar from an alder body I had bought off ebay. As Im sure all of you guys have experienced (this is my first time putting together a guitar) I have been going nuts over just fantasizing all of the stuff I could do with it. but there's one thing Im realllly unsure about: the neck pickup.
its routed for a single coil and I plan on keeping it that way; Im looking for something that can get that John Mayer strat sound, you know that really nice clean bluesy sound he has, but also something versatile enough to pull that "melt your face" kind of lead.
thanks in advance :D

Mike9

Supporting Member
If you're on a budget a Duncan APS-2 sounds great in the neck spot and can be had for a reasonable price.

davejeon02

Try the Chris Klein S-5 Scooped set. They sound amazing clean and are great with light-moderate overdrive. They're dirt cheap and to boot, he's a TGPer and an awesome guy to deal with. These were designed off of JM's Big Dipper pickups so I think you'll like them.

dazco

I've tried several in my start's neck's, and in fact just tried a mare recently. Why i bother changing i din't know bwcause i've always been happy with my van zandts. anyways, one thing i found about van zandts that seems to alway be a waekness with other SC's is that they sound fantastic for high gain soloing. they become so harmonically rich and sustain like crazy. The recent mare for example literally wouldn't do that....not even close. I have several ranges of VZ's abd the one thats around 5.9k whatever it is works great for clean to low gain stuff which is 95% of what i use it for. yet it seems even better with high gain than the vanzandts with a higher output. they're great pickups. They have a lot of low end too unlike the others i used. Much more than the mare i just tried recently. I don't think anyone could be unhappy with them. some will prefer others, but this is cork sniffing level when you're talking fralin, VZ, etc. But if you want killer hi gain tone along with the traditional clean to mildly driven neck tone, i thin VZ may well be your best bet. I don't think i could imaging a better high gain neck tone.

oh wow thanks guys, Im new to this site and wasnt expecting replies so quickly.
okay so, something that can go from Little Wing to a high gain solo. if that helps define what Im looking for. but this is possible correct?
Fralin Blues Special? Suhr FL Standard? Chris Klein?
Ive heard of Fralin but never even played any of the others. how would I go about checking these out?

dazco

Like i said, thats what i have only found in the van zandts. They have the cleans and semi distorted great, but nothing i've tried does that and then can do the high gain stuff so well except van zandt, and it's awesome at high gain. of course i assume you know there is no such thing as a single coil that can do both great without some sort of boost for the high gain stuff, right? in other words, if you're expecting a pickup that will have enough output for high gain yet can ckean up great for little wing all without changing amp settings or using a clean boost, that just ain't gonna happen with any pickup. Not even close.

Lespaulsignature 74

Silver Supporting Member
oh wow thanks guys, Im new to this site and wasnt expecting replies so quickly.
okay so, something that can go from Little Wing to a high gain solo. if that helps define what Im looking for. but this is possible correct?
Fralin Blues Special? Suhr FL Standard? Chris Klein?
Ive heard of Fralin but never even played any of the others. how would I go about checking these out?
You can go onto "You Tube" and enter the Brand of Pickups you want to check out and there is usually someone demoing them. This will give you some idea as to what they sound like.

Joe Perry

Gold Supporting Member
Try the Chris Klein S-5 Scooped set. They sound amazing clean and are great with light-moderate overdrive. They're dirt cheap and to boot, he's a TGPer and an awesome guy to deal with. These were designed off of JM's Big Dipper pickups so I think you'll like them.
Does he have clips up of this set? I only saw some of his other sets. Everytime I try to play them it crashes my computer. Did you get them when they were $100? Now they are $175.

davejeon02

Does he have clips up of this set? I only saw some of his other sets. Everytime I try to play them it crashes my computer. Did you get them when they were $100? Now they are $175.
Yes, he has soundclips of the S-5 Set. Check out the link I sent above. What you have to do is right click the soundclips, save them, and play them through Windows Media Player or another media player.

I purchased them the day before the price increase. He let me know ahead of time which was even greater incentive to get them, although I still think $175 is a very fair price for the quality you get.

Last edited:

Trending Topics