Neck Pickup for an SG.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintagecrunch, Jul 23, 2008.

1. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

I just bought another Historic SG and I love the bridge pickup, but the neck is the darkest pickup I have ever heard. They both are 57's and I have had these in many Gibsons and usually like them in the neck for the most part., but it is awfully muffled and wooly and its got to go.

Any suggestions for a good neck pickup? I want something smooth, sweet and clear.
    Thanks

2. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

i have a sg standard, and the stock gibson 490 in the neck is so dark that i have to have the tone control at atleast 8 in order to have a usable tone. i started a thread looking for pickup suggestions in my sg and i think many agree that a 59 in the neck is a good choice.

3. Luis

Luis Member

I have 2 Historic SG, 2002 (with classic 57's) and 2006 (with bursbuckers). I prefer the 2002 with the 57 in the bridge, but in the neck I prefer the 2006 with the burstbucker 1, really more clear, but sweet and smooth too.

4. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Without going expensive, try a Dimarzio Air Classic or a Duncan Jazz. Both are great jazzy and articulate.

5. larimar

larimar Member

You may want to get a reading on your necks volume pot before changing out the pickup. Not sure what value the Historic models use but most Gibson have around 300K for volume pots. Generally the higher the value the brighter.

I switched out the values on my Gibby to some closer to 500K and it opened the tone right up.

6. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I have Motorcity pickups Afwayu's & the neck pickup is realy the jem of the set.
    Has that realy hollow quality to it if that makes sence.
    Sounds like a full single coil.Cant recommend them enough.
    + Wade is a realy cool guy ta boot.

7. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

The DiMarzio Virtual PAFs in my SG have been excellent. Very sweet and clear. I have them in the neck and bridge, but the neck sounds so good (clean or dirty) that I find myself there most of the time.

8. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Before you change it, try the simple stuff. Make sure you've got 500k Audio pots. Then, to get the max treble response, lower the neck pickup and bring the screw poles up to match the output of the bridge pickup.

Al

10. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

Thanks. I have an RS kit with pots and caps and my tech adjusted the pole pieces high and pickup low which helped some, but still too dark. I usually like 57's in the neck because of the way they cut yet stay smooth and creamy, but this one is dark and bloated.

11. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

1 meg volume pot and problem solved... :)

12. iwantmypie

iwantmypie Member

yeah i would definitely get a multimeter and check to see that the pot is actually running at 500K. I also have PAFs in mine and I prefer them for that classic sound. If not maybe you should try a 1 meg pot or some different pickups.