Neck Pocket Finish Crack on Strat Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lost_Cause, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I was looking at a Fender Strat artist series guitar of no significant vintage that has a approximately 1/2" finish scratch in the paint near the neck pocket. I have seen that they are not totall uncommon on Strats and teles with bolt on necks. Other than that the guitar is fine. Better than fine actually. Any idea how much would this affect the value of the guitar assuming there is no structural damage? I want to be armed with a realistic idea how much this affects the value of the guitar before I approach.

2. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

3. gsf

gsf Member

I would think no more than another ding somewhere, but you could make a point of it and negotiate. One of my strats has the very thing, and it doesn't bother me after taking a close look. If it plays great it should be 'better than fine' assuming no structural damage. Also, make sure the neck screws are tight.

4. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

My PRS CE bolt on is the same way. Nothing structural at all but there is no mistaking that it is there. Looks bad actually.

5. GASattack

GASattack Member

I think that the structurally sound neck joint paint cracks are so common, people really dont pay a whole lot of attention to them
    in the 'players guitar' market. I think alot of people accept them as finish manufacturing defects. Although, techniques in bartering
    prices down commonly include the admission of them.

High End, Collector and Investment grade guitars probably differ in viewpoint.

I dont know if its the paint drying too hard or too quick, for whatever reasons, but, it appears that it is getting more common ...
    Is that due to manufacturers changing paint products and techniques to make painting more VOC compliant or to speed up the
    manufacturing process ... Im no expert there by a longshot. Its just my observations and questioning.

~kevin

6. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

You guys rock. I just wanted to confirm my thoughts. The guitar is priced pretty well to begin with I just wanted to find out some more informed people. Probably not a collector guitar but in pretty much mint condition other than this.

Thanks!!!

7. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

I just stripped a strat body that had a finish crack at the neck. It was on the upper side of the neck pocket.

Turns out it wasn't a finish crack, but a real crack repaired at the factory.

8. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

My Strat has a small crack on each side of the neck pocket, maybe about 5 to 8mm long. My theory: we like a nice hard finish on them, so it's going to crack where there's some very slight flexibility around the neck pocket? I did hear another theory that the cracks are caused by over-tightening of the neck screws, anybody know if there's any truth in this?

I guess you'd need to remove the neck to see if the cracks are through to the inside of the neck pocket wood, which would mean they were cracks in the wood. It's pretty unlikely, but it can happen.

9. monty

monty Member

I have a Strat and a Tele with that "problem" and seen many other like it.
    Nothing to worry about.

10. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

crack is good, tight neck joint.