Neck pocket finish cracks on new guitar...

jman

Silver Supporting Member
...i wanted to check out a VM jazzmaster to tinker with,it was a "dent & scratch" and 50 bucks less than usual new price for these - fun guitar,though this one has the cracks around neck pocket. What would you do,return it or just keep it ? They seem to be just in finish.

Sean French

Quite common.
If you dig the guitar , I would say keep it.
Perhaps send those pics and see if they will give you more of a discount.
Doesn't hurt to try.

tamader74

The one crack (the one in the pic. that looks like it's running all the way to the neck screw's),...I can't tell IF its just a 'finish' crack, or worse...the one in the other pic. is really a non-issue, in fact it is said to mean you have a well made Fender guitar (I personally believe ALL the Strat.'s and the one or two Tele.'s that had this 'issue' were some of my very BEST)...

I've have a couple with a 'real' crack as in the first pic. that I cannot truly make out (Sorry),...I was told to pull the neck plate and take 'Hide Glue' (heated),...and 'shoot' it into the 'Cracked' area where that neck bolt bolted (I hope you understand my meaning,...neck/neck plate off, a 'plunger' was given to me by a Tech.,...similar to what your Nurse gives you a shot with,...and I shot the Hide glue into the cracked area from the unfinished area where the bolt tightens/goes as to 'stabilize' that area).

BUT, it was NOT a 'Brand New' guitar,...and while it did fix the guitar (had it for several years after I done the repair with NO problems AT ALL),...to ME, $50. is NOT enough of a discount on that particular guitar,...and then again IF your liking the Instrument, ask for a larger discount or send it back.

You will most likely hear the same here from others as far as the 'Finish' crack goes,...it won't effect anything at all,...I've had Strat.'s that have developed this problem after a season of less than great weather,...and now that I think of it, it did only happen with two Tele.'s...one of them it happened on either side of the neck.

While my opinion may be different on what I would accept than yours, I would AT THE VERY least have the one area checked over by a qualified Tech. before ANY thought of keeping it entered my Mind. Tom

tamader74

Tinker with it? I think someone did that already.
...not IF these are truly 'Finish' cracks, but if the one is a REAL crack, it needs to be fixed. I DO know how to work on my guitars, and when I'm 'stumped' I have a close Friend that will help figure things out with me, and Visa Versa. Moisture is a BIG thing where I live, along with BIG weather shifts/swings...finish cracking is somewhat common IF you don't take care when putting your guitars away, and not going back to revisit them for awhile (I use D'addario Humidity pkg.'s in even some of my electric guitars,...Love these things, cheap 'Insurance' where I live).

If the OP can't, or don't know 'How' to do it...it still needs to be checked out at the very least...That's NOT "tinkering" that's getting a possible REAL problem fixed. Tom

jman

Silver Supporting Member
I am wondering just how it could be determined that it actually was the wood...wouldn't the finish have to be removed to see what is going on ? Whatever it is or isn't,i am guessing it comes from tightening the screws too much. I prob will bring it to the shop to have my guy take a look before i decide.
-it is now playing great,i at least learned about working with that jazzmaster bridge...

djg714

...not IF these are truly 'Finish' cracks, but if the one is a REAL crack, it needs to be fixed. I DO know how to work on my guitars, and when I'm 'stumped' I have a close Friend that will help figure things out with me, and Visa Versa. Moisture is a BIG thing where I live, along with BIG weather shifts/swings...finish cracking is somewhat common IF you don't take care when putting your guitars away, and not going back to revisit them for awhile (I use D'addario Humidity pkg.'s in even some of my electric guitars,...Love these things, cheap 'Insurance' where I live).

If the OP can't, or don't know 'How' to do it...it still needs to be checked out at the very least...That's NOT "tinkering" that's getting a possible REAL problem fixed. Tom
Someone took that neck off already. Buy whatever you want, I wouldn't waste my time with a cheap guitar like that.
I DO KNOW how to work on my own guitars. Over 30 years of playing and tinkering with bolt ons.
DON"T BUY JUNK.....!!!!!!!

tamader74

Someone took that neck off already. Buy whatever you want, I wouldn't waste my time with a cheap guitar like that.
I DO KNOW how to work on my own guitars. Over 30 years of playing and tinkering with bolt ons.
DON"T BUY JUNK.....!!!!!!!
I'm SO Sorry, I didn't realize I was answering to YOU in the post (you have a 'handle' close to another members),...I also didn't read just WHAT model your JM was ,...the Fender guitars I posted/was referring to were all USA made, except for the one Tele. that was MIJ (the one that had cracks on both sides of the pocket). I can honestly tell you the ONLY 3 MIC guitars I've ever owned were acoustics,...

...I did attempt to check out a Squier Tele.,...picked up a few and knew they would not be for me, the ones that day all had silly thin neck profiles...and I really guess I was out just to go out. I've owned a Yamaha LLX-16, and two Blueridge 163s...a Cutaway version, and the one for sale now (I did have a BR-143, but it was ONLY here for a Christmas in July party that my Wife throws every year...and was gone the day after).

I too have been at this awhile myself (couple of years I guess),...and I most definitely was NOT putting you NOR your ability down (as I stated, I thought the post I replied to was someone else, again I'm Sorry),...But I didn't buy the guitar, you did and they didn't want to discount it anymore from what I was reading,...So all I was doing was simply was trying to help make Lemonade out of Lemons, and stated I could not make out the one pic., again accept my apology. Tom

jman

Silver Supporting Member
Here is another pic,might be easier to tell ... thx for the opinions !

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
Edited after seeing new pic , that is kinda bad. send it back or glue it

ELmiguel

Regarding the last picture you posted. Take a knife and scrape some of the paint away from the screw hole. You don't want that paint in there anyway. If the wood is cracked, you'll know when the paint is gone. If the wood is cracked, I'd send it back.

old goat

Wood is cracked. Send it back. If you start scraping paint off they probably won't take it back. If you try to fix and it doesn't work they won't take it back. If you want a cracked guitar to practice repairs on you can get one for a lot less.

tamader74

Here is another pic,might be easier to tell ... thx for the opinions !

WHOLELY SHIZZLE'S JMAN!!! send that POS BACK!!!...that is NOT a 'Crack',...that's a 'FAULT'!!!. I'm betting from that pic. (and I know it's a close up),...we are talking some filler on TOP of heated Hide glue,...there is NO WAY that the neck, parts, etc. on it, whatever, is worth what your probably into the whole guitar for.

It's great to have 'Fun' low $$$ guitars to Mod, etc.,...I've gotten farther, and farther away from these kind of 'newer' if you will, 'Instruments' (if you want to call them that?),...there are WAY to many good quality MIK, MIJ 'Bones' guitars out there to pay any kinda' $$$ for this kinda' crap. I've had some awesome success with these older MIK/MIJ pieces,...(after the hard Chemo. I was given,...it put me in remission, and cured me of being a 'Corksniffing' So, I'm liking the tinkering with this older stuff...LOL).

I NOW understand 'Why' you were a bit 'testy',...if I had received 'THAT', I would most likely went off the deep end pissed. Good Luck with sending it back and getting your $$$ back, Tom

Last edited:

jman

Silver Supporting Member
Yes,back it goes...too bad,it is otherwise pretty cool - cheap guitars are better than they used to be. I would have kept it if they offered more of a partial refund.

Last edited:

Polynitro

squier vms are not junk. they are as good as squier cv/c line.
this can happen to any guitar. I would send it back though.

btw whats with THE random capital LETTERS?
Its really HARD to read these POSTS with all these
emphasized WORDS. It READS as if one is speaking NORMALLY,
but then YELLING every 10th word OR so.
whats STRANGE is, its not just ONE poster doing IT

Bluplirst

squier vms are not junk. they are as good as squier cv/c line.
this can happen to any guitar. I would send it back though.

btw whats with THE random capital LETTERS?
Its really HARD to read these POSTS with all these
emphasized WORDS. It READS as if one is speaking NORMALLY,
but then YELLING every 10th word OR so.
whats STRANGE is, its not just ONE poster doing IT

What's with the lack of capital letters? How can we tell the first word of each sentence? LOL!

Polynitro

its best to use italics to emphasize or distinguish certain words in a text.
capitalized words read as YELLING!

Trending Topics