Neck pocket question

nosignal

I was restringing my buddy's fender standard satin strat the other day and I saw something I've never seen before. The neck pocket had a couple gaps in the contact of the neck. I was just wondering if this is normal or if this is a problem? Like I said, I've never seen it before.

brc

It looks like the pocket has been altered with a Dremmel tool with a drum sander.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I've seen many a Strat neck pocket like that. Nothing to worry about.

Dale

Fender does a lot of neck pockets like that ... or did in the past anyway. It is not unusual.

nosignal

I Also forgot to ask about those three holes by the pickup cavities. What would those be for?

Ron Kirn

the Micky Mouse Ears rout is to allow for necks with differing radii at the heal to be used... Necks typically will have either a 3/8r or a 1/2r heel. A ⅜ will not 'seat" fully into a pocket with a 1/2r corners. the mouse ears simply removes that snafu from the assembly hang-ups..

However the one in the photo does look like a "kitchen table" mod to allow for a change from whatever was there originally.

Ron Kirn

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
Normal for Strats since the mid '70s (late '76 IIRC). Reissues and most MIJ don't have this.

Trending Topics