• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Neck profile…. big deal or no

budg

Silver Supporting Member
I have with my guitars fat necks , thin necks and everything in between . My preference is bigger necks ,but it’s not a deal breaker. I have a Broadcaster with a beefy U shape and a SG 61 Standard with a thin 60s neck . I also have Strats that are in the middle of the road and a Martin with a nice full V neck . I guess I’m all over the place except I don’t care for ballbat necks and toothpick necks and I don’t care for wide nuts .

Are neck profiles a big deal to you ? Do your guitars have similar neck profiles or are they varied?

Reactions: Gms

misterg71

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I too have them in different sizes. I do prefer bigger necks, but you can’t always get what you want (at least in neck sizes). I typically can play most sizes, with the exception of super skinny (like old LP Classics). My ‘61 SG Standard has the slim 60s style, but being that the nut width is a touch wider, it doesn’t cramp my hand up.

Cheddar Kung Pao

Platinum Supporting Member
In theory it isn't a deal beaker (unless we are talking ibanez wizard neck or something), but i found i never picked up my thin neck guitars. So in practice it ended up being a deal breaker for actual play time. I sold the thin neck guitars as a result.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
I too have them in different sizes. I do prefer bigger necks, but you can’t always get what you want (at least in neck sizes). I typically can play most sizes, with the exception of super skinny (like old LP Classics). My ‘61 SG Standard has the slim 60s style, but being that the nut width is a touch wider, it doesn’t cramp my hand up.

I agree. My 61 Standard is the oddity , but the nut width makes it work for me as well. Same for my Broadcaster. The nut is just a tiny bit smaller. If it was like the Nocaster , it would probably be cumbersome , but it fits my hand perfectly.

RRfireblade

Posted about this a little while ago. I used to think so, I used to think I had a very specific profile that I would only buy. And then going through the storage of some guitars I've noticed that I actually have a range of necks from Razor thin to big fat chunks. And I like them all for different reasons. Kind of caught me by surprise.

zhivago

While I can adapt to most profiles, I just like a nice medium C shape.

I have in the past sold great guitars that had huge U shaped necks...in the end I just didn't enjoy the experience of playing them as much as a nice middle-of-the-road C shape.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
While I can adapt to most profiles, I just like a nice medium C shape.

I have in the past sold great guitars that had huge U shaped necks...in the end I just didn't enjoy the experience of playing them as much as a nice middle-of-the-road C shape.
To me the present Gibson “rounded C” is my favorite neck so far. I have it on my 335 and it’s my most comfortable.

xzacx

I'm not picky at all with neck profile. I guess I prefer larger necks, but not enough to really care. Thin nut widths, on the other hand, are typically a deal breaker. I'm sure I could get used to them, but with so many choices out there, I don't see any reason to force it.

Not a huge issue for me. I used to like thinner necks, and then I got an acoustic with a giant-feeling neck (Lowden) that was hard to get used to. Then I picked up a few other guitars with necks on the thicker side and I now find them more comfortable. I don't get hand cramps with thin necks or anything, but I now enjoy that feeling of my hand being full and not having space between my palm and the back of the neck when chording - which I think tends to make me squeeze too hard.

Thwap

Likely Baked
Platinum Supporting Member
I went from super thin, to super chunky, and now I'm somewhere in between.

I guess I've found that I adapt to most neck shapes.

juxtapolice

Silver Supporting Member
It’s important to the extent that you personally enjoy it. I have Gibson with a chunky 56 carve, strat with a thin C, Nocaster U, rounded C, V… and enjoy them all. Only necks I cannot stand are thin and super wide. Each type of neck encourages a different feel and playing style which is either fun for you as a player or can be annoying if you want consistency

Trending Topics

Top Bottom