Neck Profile/Thickness related to Playing Style

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ♫♪♫, Jun 22, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

People who play primarily with their thumb on top of the neck, wrapped around, generally play guitars with big chunky thick necks, such as les pauls, etc...etc...

People who play primarily with their thumb behind the neck (aka. proper position) generally prefer thinner necks with less chunky profiles.

Right?

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I play both styles. Thumb over for rock and such and thumb behind neck for all other styles. Only guitar I have right now has an allparts 1 inch thick neck. Big.

I am considering ordering a custom jackson now for metal and other styles as the fretboard is wider and flatter. For more thumb behind music.

So, I would agree with that assessment from my personal style. But I think nut width also plays into it a little.

3. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

I have large hands and play with my thumb over the neck just like you said. All my necks are big fat 1" thick V shaped necks. I'd like to add that I just find these big neck'd gitters to have much better sustain and tone however I'm 'slow hand' not a shredder so it works for me but if you were slamming 16th notes like DeMartini or Lynch you probably wouldn't enjoy my setup with the big acoustic like necks! I don't know it works perfect for me.

4. fractal

fractal Member

No.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I play with the thumb over the top, however anyone how plays that way will also have the thumb behind the neck sometimes, its the people who never play with the thumb over the neck that are limite to how they play.

I like the thinner necks, LPs have two neck profiles the 50s rounded and the 60s slim, I hate the 50s rounded and love the 60s slim

The thinner necks, lke the Ibanez to make some things easier on the guitar, however I have never owned an Ibanez, just notice it in the stores. A fatter neck I notice will limit what I can do, like how far I can get my thumb over the neck, I can cover 4 strings with my thumb, I think this is why the 5 string guitars are popular for keef, I noticed when i played them I could cover the neck with my thumb, in an open chord tuning this a real fun way to play.

for a little of the over the necks playing ritchie Havens is a master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pMeyy__r0

this usually works in an open tuning

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I find that people who play complex chords and long stretches with their thumb in the middle of the back of the neck tend to prefer thinner neck with a C~D profile and thumb over pentatonic based players go for thicker C~V necks .

7. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

i go for the thinner sort (prs wide thin here, although i sometimes think after playing another in gc mine's a hair thicker). i've got moderately small hands and larger profiles (like gibson 50's or historics) don't let me put my thumb behind the neck at all and make the pinkie harder to use.

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Not at all for me. I play with my thumb behind the neck regardless of the profile and, in fact, find it easier to do on thinner necks (although in general, I favor medium-thick necks).

-Austin

9. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

so I was right?

thinner necks are easier to play with your thumb behind the neck.

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I play with my thumb behind the neck and I won't buy a guitar with a thin neck. I don't have large hands but thin necks have never felt good to me.

11. Masa

Masa Member

I think it all depends on the size of your hand. Mine is pretty small, and I can't really play big neck like the ones on R8.