• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Neck profiles/contours - Modern C, Thin U, Wide Thin??

proXy124c41

So I have to admit not yet knowing much about neck profiles/contours. I own a Fender deluxe strat (Modern C neck) and once owned an ESP Eclipse II (Thin U as far as I know). To date, these necks are the only ones that feel comfortable in my hands.

I tried a PRS with wide fat and it felt like a baseball bat in my hands. The PRS SE Custom 24 has a wide thin neck and felt better, but not as good as the modern C and Thin U.

What exactly is the PRS equivalent in terms of C,V U, etc? I am starting to feel like PRS just don't make guitars for my hands.

Last edited:

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like you prefer smaller necks. Me too. The PRS Wide Thin or Pattern Thin are the closest you will find to the preference you are describing, but both are wider than the Fender Modern C.

Be aware than neck back profile and nut width are kind of inextricably linked, as far as determining the feel of the neck. Also, the shape of the "shoulders", or the edges of the neck back profile as they wrap around and approach the edge of the fretboard, are key. A thin neck feels bigger when it has fuller shoulders. I thicker neck can feel smaller when the shoulders are modest.

stonem

Silver Supporting Member
Esp uses that profile on alot of their models if you check the spec sheets. I have an mIII custom with that profile. Great neck. Also if you prefer small necks the fender soft v profile is excellent the lack of shoulders makes it perfect for smaller hands.

faithman2k

Closest PRS neck to a strat is the DGT. But still it's own thing. But it's best to speak to the PRS guys first hand.

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
You may want to look into some of the EBMM guitars, looks of a PRS but feel of a modified fender.

iced_earth

From your description I would try a PRS "standard" or "pattern regular" neck. As mentioned above a lot of neck feel comes from the shoulders, and for me that is the closest to a medium neck that PRS does. I also used to have an ESP Eclipse II and I've tried a few Fender Modern C necks that have been comfortable to me, and the only PRS neck I would buy sight-unseen is a standard/pattern regular.

Can someone help to find a specs (especially neck) similar to Strandberg Plini Boden in other (budget) guitar? So that the specs of the "simulator guitar" were as close as possible to the possible characteristics of the Plini model. It is clear that the body, the bridge and the "headless", as well as the special profile of the neck are not considered - these are unique aspects. But such things as the neck radius, the width and height of frets, the width of the neck, and the pickups are compared. Best of all, those whose hands have gone through a lot of tools during their career or work will help, but I will be glad to hear the opinion of everyone!
P.S. By myself I look at Ibanez RGAT62 or PRS SE Standard 24. Give an advice please.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom