neck pup in bridge position?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Pyrrhic Victory, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Pyrrhic Victory

Pyrrhic Victory Member

Hi guys.
    Just curious about putting a neck HB in the bridge position of my HSS strat.
    What would be the potential downside? (Besides the "impurity" of putting a bucker in strat in general... lol.)
    The only real upside is that I found a neck version of the pup I want for a really good price.
    Thanks to any and all.

2. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

It will probably have weak output and could be a bit bright. Mostly, though, it just won't have expected output. Bridge pickup in the neck is less problematic...you can always lower the pickup and get something reasonable, but you may not be happy going the other way.

But if you have it, you may as well try it. You may like it. Who knows? This is just a generalization. Your specific pickup may sound wonderful in the bridge position for what you're trying to achieve.

3. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Depends on which p/up, what guitar and amp and what you want to sound like.

Generally, Necks are less powerfully wound with lower inductance and output for a somewhat clearer sound. Neck buckers can get awful boomy otherwise.

That said, so many pickups are so overwound that the neck version of a particular set might be better for you. But if you're looking for the sound of that set's bridge p/up you won't get it from the neck version.

4. Pyrrhic Victory

Pyrrhic Victory Member

Ok. Thanks guys. When I get two such distinguished opinions confirming something I supspected (though I hoped otherwise), I know enough to back away.
    I'll have to hold out for what I really want.
    As soon as I figure out exactly what that is....

5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I wouldn't back away, you really don't know unless you try.
    Measure the resistance of the pickup, I would say that anything above 7k might work. 7k or more would likely be high enough output to compete with a couple single coils.