Neck Residue?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 8len8, Jan 22, 2012.

1. 8len8

8len8 Member

I've got a 2007 LP standard and I keep getting a strange waxy buildup on the back of the neck. I've tried not using guitar polish on it, using guitar polish on it, and having a tech buff it out, but the residue keeps returning. None of my other guitars (PRS, G&L, Washburn, Carvin), or even my 2009 traditional LP have this problem. Any ideas?

2. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

It's your sweat reacting with the finish. That happens to me on Gibsons & Guilds...It gets hazy & sticky, right??? I usually buff it out after it re-hardens. There really is nothing that you can do about it as far as I know...

3. willyboy

willyboy Member

Have you taken it back to your tech? Could be that the finish was contaminated when it was originally sprayed on the guitar or if it was refinished. If that's the case, only a proper refin would cure the problem. IF you have a good qualified finisher in your area, they should be able to easily tell you if that's the case. Anyone with finishing experience would know that contaminants bleeding through the finish is not going to be solved by simply buffing it out.

4. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I always found that hot breath and a polishing cloth often would be a big help and after awhile it wouldn't happen anymore.

If it's bad it sounds like your nitro is not curing well.

Keeping it out of the case more often will help in this.
    There were some that did not cure correctly in the new formula Gibson began using, somewhat in late '05 then full time in '06 & on.