Neck Sanding

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wescattle, Mar 1, 2008.

1. wescattle

wescattle Member

So i've been playing my old mexican strat lately and i really like how its sounding but the neck is really slow and kinda sticky, what is the status on sanding down a neck? Do i just sand it with some fine grit paper or is there a calculated method?

Thanks

2. Boobala

Boobala Member

If it were me, I'd sand it down to bare wood (the back, not the fingerboard) with 240 or 320 grit, and then finish it with progressively finer grit, ending with 800 or finer grit. Every time you change grit, change the direction you sand, and only sand until you see/feel the marks/grooves from the last grit disappear.

Finally, I'd apply Tru-Oil. Trying to get that EBMM neck feel.

I've never done this, so I may be leading you in a bad direction. Be carfull!

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's great advice Boobla. I did that on my CS tele the day I got it. But I didn't put any tru oil on it. Left it bare. I only went up to 400 grit and that was feeling a little too smooth for me.

4. fastburn430

fastburn430 Member

There is some threads on this using Micromesh with excellent results.

5. Boobala

Boobala Member

I was kind'a just guessing about what I'd do if I were to do it. I would certainly stop sanding once it felt "smooth enough". I mentioned Tru-Oil because I'd worry about moisture absorption and warpage on bare wood, and because it is very similar to how Ernie Ball/Musicman finish their necks, and I love the feel of EBMM necks. But, since your not having problems with a bare neck it may not be necessary.

Are there any luthiers in the house to give this man some Pro advice?

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah tru-oil is great. I've used it with great results, but on that neck I just left it bare and love a raw feel to the neck.