Neck shapes, sizes, and perception

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cap217, Jan 25, 2012.

1. cap217

cap217 Member

I am getting obsessed with guitars and building guitars and feel and tone and all of it!!!! I bought a nice digital caliper and started measuring necks and was very suprised.

I thought I liked nice full necks and I thought there was a huge difference in size from one to the other, but I guess I was wrong based on #'s. Its the small things that make a huge difference.

I will give you a few. Guitar/1st fret/12th fret

Nocaster/.95/1.04
    Squire CV 50/.85/.92
    R8/.9/1.07
    Les Paul Plus 60s neck/.82/.95
    65 Fender relic strat/.86/1.0

Now what surprised me was the 12th fret sizes. The R8 was the biggest but the nocaster felt way bigger to me. I am also surpirsed that the 65 strat was at 1.0 and was close to those fat necks but it was a lot more comfortable.

The nocaster has a fat U and the others are all C based. The R8 I guess is a LP based profile but is closer to a C than a U. Also, the CV 50s tele neck feels paper thin, especially after playing the nocaster. But it was comfortable to me. I guess a nice C shape and a tapered profile to a larger 12th fret size is what I want.

I still cant see how the CV tele was .85 and the LP and 65 strat were close but the neck as a whole felt different. It must be the 12th fret size that has a lot to do with it.

I just thought this would be interesting to post and for discussion.

What shape is a CV tele neck?

2. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I'd like to compare some of my Ltd's. I used to hate the viper neck. But that's all I've been playing live recently.

My horizon has such a comfortable neck. As does a wizard 2 neck that I have on a Rhodes V body. I'd like to know how close those two are.

3. RSRD

RSRD Member

Really cool thread. I'm surprised your 60s LP neck was that big!

So many cool neck shapes. Would love to hear actual PRS measurements on their W/Ta versus pattern thin. And all the variations of the neck on the R7s. Go check out marks guitar loft. You'll see so much variations on his LP neck measurements.

So what did you buy to measure them? I'd love to buy one. Any specific brand or place to buy a good one?

4. cap217

cap217 Member

The les Paul 60s feels so thin compared to the r8 but the numbers weren't that far off. I have a prs so I will measure it later.

I thought this thread would rake off honestly. I think its great info. It would be nice to hear from others.

5. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Member

You should also take into account the nut width. That will change the feel too.

6. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Cool thread! None of the necks you mentioned are thin by any means. Nut width was mentioned and scale should be considered as well. Could it be that the closer the frets are to each other has a bit to do with it? I really don't know.

7. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

I wonder if radius will change the feel of the neck at all. I would imagine that it would if you were fretting with your thumb over the top of the fretboard. My godin seems to have somewhere between a U and a C ... closer to a U than my strat anyways, and it makes thumb fretting difficult for me. Maybe it's the radius? Maybe it's the profile?

Wish I had some digital calipers!

8. cap217

cap217 Member

Radius has to make a difference I think. There is a chance I am measuring wrong too. I measure in the middle where the dot markers are and to the back middle of the neck.

9. GA20T

GA20T Member

Nut width, shoulder, and scale length are big players.

10. cap217

cap217 Member

why would scale matter?

11. cap217

cap217 Member

I took nut width measurements.

Nocaster 1.65
    CV 50 1.663
    R8 1.703
    Les Paul 60's 1.706
    65 cs strat 1.653

I cant see the small differences being such a factor in the nut width. But I am probably wrong about that.

12. GA20T

GA20T Member

It wouldn't, at least until you you tried forming chords up and down the neck, as in playing the guitar.

Longer scale = more of a reach lower down the neck
    short scale = more crowded further up the neck

Couple that with shape & girth etc. and there are plenty of happy (or unhappy) mediums & extremes in the way a neck feels.

13. Sawarow

Sawarow Gold Supporting Member

Though the difference in the nut widths do not seem like much, since the entire neck is affected by this, it makes the feel of the neck much different IMO. Find a 1 5/8" (1.625) neck and compare it to a 1 11/16" (1.687), they feel a lot different to me.

14. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

Radius can matter, but it depends on where you are measuring from. The radius obviously matters if you are measuring from the center of the back of the neck to the center of the fret board.
    For me the over all thickness of the neck matters less (as long as it is not extremely thin of extremely fat) then the shape itself. I don't care for really big shoulders.

15. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I've been obsessed w/ neck shapes for years. Being left handed and playing traditional right hand guitars makes me even more obsessive! What I've come to realize for me is I'm okay w/ fairly thin profiles so long as they have enough shoulder and are wide. But I still prefer .90 to 1.0 large C shape the best!

16. cap217

cap217 Member

I am starting to think that a 59lp shape and size on a tele would be perfect.

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

interesting the CV is supposed to be 41.3mm and the Nocaster 42mm

Id like to know the width at the first fret because I dont think nut width matters much (they should be the same by 1st fret)

18. cap217

cap217 Member

First fret width:

Nocaster 1.7 and CV 1.726

12th Fret:

Nocaster 2.032 and CV 2.046

19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Interesting...Fender is wrong with a lot of thier specs. The CVC are called 9.5" radius but they measure 10"

They call the Roadworn a C neck but its more a soft V

I always said the CV/C necks are not as thin as people say they are. They are pretty thin as for the back of the neck but they measure the same width just about.

20. toddinjax@yahoo

toddinjax@yahoo Senior Member

Along with how much shoulder is left or taken away, the height of the frets comes into play also.