Neck Snap! Travel Insurance Claim Help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by treeuh, Oct 2, 2014.

1. treeuh

treeuh Member

Hey- hopefully someone here can help me navigate this situation... I recently went on a tour in SE Asia, and upon arriving home (after 6 other flights), I found my Gretsch G6129T (Sparkle Jet)'s headstock had nearly snapped off-- classic Gibson style.

Thankfully, I bought travel insurance, so I'm filing the claim now, but I'm a little lost on how to fill out a section asking for Retail price, depreciation, and amount claimed.

Essentially, the guitar can't be played and to be repaired would still depreciate the value of it... so I'm thinking I'll claim enough to replace the guitar. How would you go about doing this?

Thanks!

2. diaphragm

diaphragm Member

"Snap your fingers, snap your neck" (Prong).

3. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

I can't help with that, but if you need a repair guy, I have a guitar that had a neck break repaired by Greg Platzer of BCR music and he did a fantastic job.

Sorry you have to go through that. Good luck on the claim and the repair!

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

The problem with insurance forms and depreciation is they try to make everything fit into a standard mold. The think you are going to buy an asset, use it, it will eventually wear out (after it's useful lifetime) and then be replaced. The problem is a musical instrument, with proper care, can last a lifetime. Depreciation on musical instruments is a weird one as some instruments hold their, or even go up in value, while some go down as soon as you walk out the door. Hopefully an insurance person will jump in here.

PS I would claim a full loss, but make sure you don't have to surrender the guitar to the insurance company before you do!

5. Drmojoxl

Drmojoxl Silver Supporting Member

As an insurance agent, I too would file for a total loss. I would check eBay for completed sales on a used Gretsch G6129T and you should have an idea on what they would use for depreciation. If you file for a total loss they will make you surrender the guitar however you can by it back for dirt cheap.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Do you find a standard Travel Insurance Policy covers something like this?

Or was there a Rider involved covering the Gretsch, maybe?

7. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Gretsch was a bad choice for an airplane tour like that.

Set neck, angled headstock--problems waiting to happen.

Next time grab a Tele--you could even take the neck off if need be no prob.