neck stability question, lifting the guitar by the headstock

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mr. Mukuzi O, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

in an old YT video, one of those Las Vegas Guitar guys explains his theory on sorting guitars. he lays about five guitars down and lifts each guitar by the headstock. he strums the strings, one or two guitars are stable and the others are not as stable. he doesn't really explain which ones he would choose, his story is he hand picked guitars for Famous Players back in the hair metal days.

do any of you guys know what he is doing? is he looking for a stable neck or a slightly alive movable neck?

when a player sustains a chord and wiggles the neck, you get that cool 70`s end of a solo vibe, I can see Page doing it now in my mind. is that what this guy is looking for? or is he looking for a super stable neck?

he doesn't really explain what or why he is doing this.

(he is the same guy who posted a video about the Gibson Flood back in 2010, asking "who made the gibsons in 2010?" if anyone has seen that video)

I have tried this with my guitars, the neck through is solid, the glued in neck (hamer Special) is no where near as solid and the strats are all pretty stable.

anyone aware of this bench test?

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I would guess he is checking how much the pitch changes and probably wants the least amount. Selecting out the more flexible.

3. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

yes, that's it he is looking at pitch change.
    have you ever heard of people doing that?

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I've learned it the hardway so to speak. Some guitar necks have more flex than others, occasionally you really notice it as a rubber neck. Some designs that are famous for tuning instability or are neck heavy (ex.Firebirds, SGs) often have necks that flex enough to be noticeable. One way to check is strum and turn the guitar face down and listen for how much the pitch changes. Generally less is better.