• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Neck swappin' a strat!

TotallyBiased

Hi There Folks!

Been lookin' to swap the neck on my partocaster as the frets are knackered and I fancy a slimmer profile. This is a little complicated as my strat is from an unknown manufacturer. I have found a neck on ebay that looks gorgeous but its been bolted on to a body previously and the neck joint on my strat is a tad wonky, so my question is whether this means that I won't be able to bolt the bought neck on as the plate is misaligned.

Here is my neck joint, as you can see it's pretty wonky.

T Dizz

fill the existing neck holes and drill new ones. Make the neck fit the body.. not the body fit the neck

T Dizz

as long as the neck fits the pocket, then yes. Not a big deal at all. If the neck is wider than the pocket, then you might have to think about how you want to proceed.

bluesoul

If the holes going through the body are a bit larger than the screws (which many older bodys were drilled that way) and have some play, the neck might have some room for adjusting in how it shifts, and line up fine.
I have some bodys that the screw holes have no play and are screwed though the body ...but have had bodys where the screws can slide though the screw holes and have a little play allowing room for adjusting alienment.
If the holes ARE drilled a little larger...it is multiplied 4 times!

swiveltung

I cant blow up your pic, but like bluesoul said, many necks will fit. The holes in the body should not be tight on the screws, you can drill them out a bit carefully to allow more tolerance. There are some oddball necks out there though.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
No way to know how the neck will fit without trying as there are a few variables. Anything could be adjusted but it might get expensive if you're paying someone to do the work. Also, it's likely the frets will need leveled/crowned and the nut slots adjusted...seldom are necks bolt & play. Might be less expensive to just buy another guitar.

TotallyBiased

No way to know how the neck will fit without trying as there are a few variables. Anything could be adjusted but it might get expensive if you're paying someone to do the work. Also, it's likely the frets will need leveled/crowned and the nut slots adjusted...seldom are necks bolt & play. Might be less expensive to just buy another guitar.
yes fair point although apprently it hasn't actually been used, just bolted on, from the pics the frets look mint

Trending Topics

Top Bottom