Neck Wood?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by soulsoothin, May 26, 2008.

1. soulsoothin

soulsoothin Member

Hi all,

Do you prefer mahogany or maple for the neck wood of a guitar, and why?

I wanted to ask your opinion on neck woods used in high end boutique guitars. It seems that some builders (Thorn and McNaught for example) use mahogany primarliy, while others prefer maple (hard rock). Wondered what the differences are and how, for those of you that have ordered high end guitars, you decided which neck wood you liked better. Thanks.

2. stan p

stan p Member

I played maple necks all my life ... mostly because i was used to them. My next custom guitar is going to be all mahoganny though, cause I am digging the sound and the stability of mahogany. Stability is my No1 criterium.

I find that generic descrioptions of different woods, help builders more than players, as there are many other variables, such as thickness, construction, FB material and joint type.

3. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Depends on if it`s a bolt on or not. Generally I have come to prefer maple for a neck w/ a rosewood type of fingerboard. Mahogany is a softer wood and so if it`s a bolt on,have metal inserts installed.

4. John Page

John Page Member

After 30+ years of designing and building I have found that I like the combination of the two the most. I use 3 pieces of .82+ Eastern Hard Rock Maple with 2 pieces .05-.06" veneers laminated between the Maple. This gives me the stability I'm looking for as well as a bit of "sweetness" from the Mahogany. But it is important to consider what type of tone/guitar you are looking at creating. My P-1 guitar is very "acoustic", thus the 5-piece Maple and Mahogany neck works very well (with an acoustic chambered body). My new model, the P-1SV, has a 1-piece neck (+ fretboard) and no acoustic chambers, because I'm trying for a less "acoustic" sound and more of a traditional "electric" sound.

I am a firm believer in the "sound of the wood". Learn to tap tone the piece of wood and listen to the tone it produces. It will give you and idea of the tone the final instrument it will produce... IMHO.

5. PFCG

PFCG Member

I likes me the maple. I like it when its sanded with very fine sand paper then finished with tung oil. Its just very very comfortable. I also like that it is very strong and i dont have to worry as much as i would with a Mahogany neck.