Necks: '62 CS Strat "mid-60s oval C" vs. '64 AVRI Tele vs. Classic Series 60s Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mam8dg, Jan 29, 2015.

1. mam8dg

mam8dg Fuzz Addict Supporting Member

EDIT: I just edited the topic to include the Classic Series 60's Tele. Ideally, I am looking for a Tele with a thin C shaped neck (specific measurements below) that will be similar to my '62 CS Strat. I would appreciate any suggestions. OP is below:

I have a '62 CS Strat with a mid-60s oval C neck that is just about perfect for me. It's a pretty thin neck, measuring .790" at the first fret and .930" at the 12th (1.65" nut, 9.5" radius). I've been looking for a Tele with a similar neck, and landed on the '64 AVRI Tele. Has anybody compared these? I know the Tele has a 7.5" radius and 1.65" nut, but I am curious about the neck profile. I'd appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

My 64' avri has a fairly chunky neck. Not huge by any stretch, but it'a a little beefy. .790" would be way to skinny for my tastes, and I like the 64'. You may want to try to play one before you dive in.

Hope this helps.

ps - the 64' is an awesome guitar, lot's of folks really like thiers.

3. mam8dg

Thanks for the reply. Damn, that is a little disappointing. The 64 AV Tele has awesome reviews, I was hoping the neck would work out. Sounds like I need to find one to test out.

4. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

Go play one. You may find that you really like it.

I think, traditionally, a strat has a skinnier neck, and tele's have a little fuller necks (gross generalization, of course). Kind of goes with the feel of the different shapes.

To me, a tele with a skinny neck just feels wrong. Strats seem to pull that off better.

5. Mandrax

Mandrax Member

I've got an AVRI 64 and the neck is chunkier than the Fender Modern C but not as chunky as say the Baja, kinda somewhere between the two. It's a good size neck IMO. It's by no means a baseball bat.

One of the guys over at TDPRI (Fred Dairy) measured all of his newer American Vintage necks, here are his measurements for the AV64:

'64 AV RI

Profile depth. Measurements taken directly behind the frets. Nut measurements taken directly infront of the nut.

Profile Depth:
    N: .905
    1st: .825
    5th: .875
    7th: 910
    12th: 965

As you can see, it's a fair bit chunkier than your CS62.

6. mam8dg

Yeah, Teles do tend to have chunkier necks. I think that is why I am having trouble finding what I am looking for...most people don't want a Tele with a skinny neck. I had a '50's CS Tele that I sold cause I just couldn't bond with the huge neck. I'm still going to play the 64 Tele to see whether I can bond with it. Thanks again for your replies.

EDIT: Thanks for those profile measurements, very helpful.

7. Mandrax

Mandrax Member

I think you should definitely give it a try, they are wonderful guitars. They feel and play exceptionally well, but the stars of the show are the pickups. They have plenty of twang but the bridge is hot enough that you can add some gain and get some great classic rock sounds. A versatile guitar and one of the best guitar purchases I've made.

8. mam8dg

I just edited the OP and title looking for comparisons to the Classic 60's Tele. If anybody has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate those too.

9. mam8dg

Update: I took a chance and purchased a new '64 AVRI Tele. Although the neck isn't my ideal (I knew this when I purchased it), the guitar plays very well and sounds great. It plays well enough that I think I will be able to get used to the neck. It is an excellent guitar, I am a big fan of the nitro finish. It is relatively light (7.2lbs), looks great, sounds great, and plays very well. I am happy with it.

[​IMG]

10. jpervin

jpervin Member

That's a gorgeous Tele!
    You may find that, over time, you'll get used to that neck.
    In the meantime, go play the heck outta that thing for awhile, then report back with an update.