Need 1/4" to 1/4" double ended plug (no cable) for pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JKoeth, Aug 18, 2005.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'm trying to save space on my pedalboard and I'd like to get rid of some patch cables and use 1/4" to 1/4" double ended male plugs instead.

Where can I get some and has anyone tried this instead of cables?

How much space is in between the plugs?

Thanks!!

2. Rich

Rich Member

MF sells them. Calls them pedal cranks. Straight or offset. Around $4. Not sure who makes theirs. Ive also seen Switchcraft around. Planet Waves also makes them but are more expensive.

My recollection trying the Straights was that theres probably around 3/4" 'center space' between pedals. The real difficulty / problem comes in lining up pedals. With the variations in heights and placements of input and output jacks across different pedal brands and your needs to put which specific pedal where, it gets tricky if not impossible to get the alignments right. And chances are you'll be making inefficent use of pedalboard space.

(Obviously, it works no sweat if you are using just a couple of, say, Boss pedals where the I/O jacks line up consistently left and right at the same height and place on the pedals.)

After all was said and done, it was easier and cleaner to just use Geo Ls.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

There's a subtle problem too - most pedals do not in fact have vertical sides. Even the ones that look like they do, like Boss. This actually means that the plug comes out at a very slight upward angle, so if you use a straight double-plug to connect two together, the pedals won't sit flat without putting quite a bit of force on them, which obviously strains the jacks and the double-plug. You can probably get away with it with two, but three or more becomes impossible without risking breaking something.

Trust me, I'm not being funny or picky, this is a real problem that I came across when building my first pedalboard... after I'd bought four or five of the double-plugs.

I discovered that the best solution is to use ordinary short patch cables with right-angle plugs, and stagger the position of the pedals front-to-back so the plugs aren't touching. This actually (maybe counter-intuitively) makes it easier to press individual pedals without hitting the ones alongside too.

4. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I agree George L's is the better way to go, but I've also recently discovered you can't use them in a Boss BCB-3 pedalboard as they stick out too much. If space is really an issue for you, the patch cords Boss makes for use with their BCB boards take up about 1/4" less space between pedals.

Even narrower still are those flat metal right angle jobs you can get at your local Radio Shack. Not my first choice, but another option none-the-less.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Go with John Phillips on this one, part of the die casting process that they use to make the boxes most effects are made out of, require a slight draft angle to the sides of the part and mold. This is necessary for the part (box) to come free of the mold. If the sides were truely straight it would require an excessive amount of force and cause galling on the side of the part(box) and wear the mold out prematurely. Which would drive up the cost of the part dramatically.

I found this out too when I tried hooking up six BOSS pedals in a row once, and found that they would not lay in a straight line. Also I tried on a few of the stereo Line6 Tone Core pedals too, that was even more exciting, it took two hand to get them together and two hand to get them apart, plus there was contact issues caused by the mis-alignment of the plugs to the jacks.

Musician's Friend sells some nice gold ones, but I have found that you only save about 1/8" versus using two GeorgeL's right angle plugs. The Switchcraft right angle plug that has two small screws holding the cover onto it, is probably the most compact, but it will require soldering of the cable to them.

My two peso...

TheGrooveking

6. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Great responses guys! Just trying to squeeze out a few more inches on my board.

Right now I've got Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables throughout my entire rig including the pedalboard (I ordered bulk cable and cut and soldered the patch cables myself which was way cheaper).

I'm using the big Neutrik right angle connetors which puts about 2" between each pedal and wastes alot of space. I could swap out the plugs and resolder them with any smaller plugs I suppose.

Have you guys seen these? Scroll down to the 1/4" to 1/4" adapters.

http://www.audiogear.com/Audio-Adapters-Phone-Plug.html

I assume that the straight and offset are what you are refering to?

7. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I hate wasted jack space too.

These look cool:
    Double Plug

Where did you order the bulk Evidence from?

8. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I got the evidence bulk cable (and free included solder) from Morgan Music.

http://www.morganmusic.com/

The soldering and cutting was a bit more involved than usual cable but I did it and will never look back. Best cable I've ever heard (and I've tried many) and Tony is one of the best guy's in the buisness.

Jim Creggan (Bassist for BNL) and now David Gilmour use his stuff among others.

9. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I've already been using a 20' Lyric HG guitar to pedalboard for about 6 months. Great cable.

Did you have any trouble with the flexibility of them on your board? Do small patches go where you want and stay?

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

They're definitely not the most flexible cable. The trick with the patch cables is to solder the right angled plugs going in the correct direction to begin with. They don't twist very well if you know what I mean.

So, once the board is laid out, see which direction each right angled plug needs to go and line them up before soldering.

Not too hard to figure out!

11. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Makes sense. Thanks dude.

12. Rich

Rich Member

Yup, thats them JK.

You've got a high class set-up now with the Evidence. Why screw with "engineered" cabling like that to maybe save a drop of space using what will be inferior connectors. IMHO.