Need 1x12 Single Channel Marshall-esque

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by holden_caufield9, May 3, 2016.

1. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Supporting Member

I'm looking for a 1x12 single channel Marshall type amp that I use with the classic rock bands I've been playing with. I have a Marshall Studio 15 that I love, but it doesn't have an effects loop. I've got to cover a lot of turf and need reverb and delays quite a bit. I planned on running my Helix in 4 cable method and ditching my analog board so I have a grab and go super versatile rig.

I played a Blackstar Artist 15 and a Marshall DSL40c and was really disappointed with both. The Marshall was stuck in heavy gain mode and the Blackstar was blackface fender clean on both channels. I really need something I can crank and use my guitar's volume to clean up.

Any suggestions?

2. 58flame

58flame Member

Well, I was going to suggest the Soldano Astroverb, but since you want an effects loop (and I would as well), I guess that's out.

3. holden_caufield9

I had an Astroverb and loved it, but ended up needing the loop... It's really too bad because it was a fantastic amp. I'm almost to the point of buying another Bad Cat Unleash and using the loop in that, but I really don't want to mess with all that setup every time I go somewhere. I'm currently in 3 different bands and need something that travels well.

4. 58flame

58flame Member

I had the Atomic 16 but sold it becuase it had no reverb, but man it was kilker through a 4x12. Also, it had no loop. :) Nice amp though, for someone other than me.

5. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Soldano Hot Rod 25

58flame likes this.
  6. holden_caufield9

I loved my Hot Rod 50+. This would be a strong contender.... maybe I need to find one used and just get a 1x12 to go with it.

7. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

You won't be dissapointed.
    The HR 25 sounds/feels better than the HR50 & 100, and dare I say, I prefer it to the SLO (unless you are in an environment where you're running the SLO Master to at least #7 on the dial, where the power tubes & transformers are being pushed and the tone really thickens up............. but you're talking LOUD!) :worried
    The HR 25 gets those tones at a much more usable vol, and the loop works better too.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  8. holden_caufield9

I really preferred my HR50 to my SLO as well. I could totally see that the 25 would be just as good. Those amps really open up when you get the master cooking.

Now I just need to talk myself into spending the money.... Maybe it's time to sell my Fargen...

9. 58flame

58flame Member

What Fargen do you have? I've had several.

10. holden_caufield9

I have a Mighty Plex head. It's basically the V2 Micro Plex at 30 watts. Absolutely killer, but I'm tired of lugging the 2x12 around.

I actually just found the Splawn Super Sport combo online and am really gassing now. I'm going to do more research, but it's between the HR25, the Splawn, and finding a way to turn my Fargen head into a 1x12 combo.

11. 58flame

58flame Member

Haven't had that one.

12. SteveC356

SteveC356 Member

Tone King Royalist 45 might do the trick.

13. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Farfen - Most cab builders will build you a custom 1x12 combo cab to your specs.
    HR25 - You could always have it modified to have an effects loop added.
    Splawn SS - I used one for a while with my two Classic Rock/Pop bands. Worked Great - I posted a review and some live videos here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...and-classic-rock-tones.1556378/#post-19698460

14. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    Have a cabinet shop build you a 1x12 cab or combo.

Russ

15. illini

illini Member

What amps haven't you owned? It seems every suggestion so far minus the Splawn you have mentioned owning at one time. :cool:

I had a Reason Bambino and a Grande. Nice and light with a big sound.

16. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

They don't come up for sale often but the Blankenship Leeds combo is fantastic in this spot.

17. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I'd be looking at one of the Goodsell offerings.

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Splawn Street Rod 1x12 sure works for me and fits your description. Great fx loop, all kinds of great Marshall-tones, solo boost, solid build. I use it at every gig. Throw in a Fulltone OCD pedal and a few other fx and you have a whole night's worth of tone tone tone. I would love to try to HR25 too, but I have so many amps and my 2 Splawns are getting 90% of my play time for the past few years. Good luck! Eric

p.s. I have many of the best Marshalls too, but the Splawn has all the features I love/need in my current bands

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  19. holden_caufield9

Haha, I've been very fortunate to own many different amps over the years. I'm a serial "buy/sell/trade" guy. I've not tried any of the Reason amps. I'll do some research.

20. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

Tone king royalist &
    Friedman dirty shirley mini I love them both. and both have great fx loops