Need 3 channels, classically voiced.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jiml, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Played a gig last night with a buddy's 100w Marshall JCM2000 TSL100. Got decent tones from the with the yellow middle dirty channel, had to really keep the gain and bass levels down on the red lead channel to keep it from getting "too metal". Clean channel was kinda lifeless. It was great to play a gig without depending on pedals, or a pedalboard.

As I am looking at buying an amp soon, anything out there that has 3 channels, more "classically" voiced (not too much gain or over enhanced lows). Playing primarily southern rock, some country.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. datriani

datriani Member

Check out the older 30th anniversary Marshall 6100. Awesome amp. I had an all original '72 super lead and it sounded pretty damn close. The clean channel is better than most Marshalls i've played, wouldn't say it's fenderish but it's pretty full bodied sounding. The effects loop is good, it's midi controllable and at roughly $1000 for it, it's a great deal.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

VHT Sig:X - voice the channels any way you like...

4. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

You need to play the Bogner XTC

5. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Matchless Independence

6. Jd3

Jd3 Member

Agreed on the 30th Anniversary .... I have the combo with extension cab, and all the 'classic' sounds are in there ... the clean channel is awesome (very much cleaner than any other Marshall amp I've ever heard), the middle 'plexi' channel has the rhythm crunch stuff in spades, and the lead channel gets you into the 'hot lead' (JCM800) space ...

I'm gassing for a new guitar and am downsizing my collection and have been thinking of selling mine ... I'll drop you a PM...

Good luck in your choice ...
    Jd3 :)

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I actually thought the marshall JVM did a pretty damn good job at this sort of thing.

8. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

XTC should be a GREAT place to start.
    But if you get the chance, play a Shiva too.
    I use the Boost function as a 3rd channel. It introduces more gain and low end.
    The 6L6 model has a awesome clean channel.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Inexpensive but not cheap? My Peavey Ultra Plus has got my attention since I picked it up for 299$ two months ago. Better sounding(yes I said it) than my old TSL by a good margin IMO and a boatload cheaper. 3 channels, reverb, 100 watts switchable to 50 watts. Still have a hard time believing the wide range of tones I can get out of it going thru a pair of G12K-100's. Oh and the logo changing from green(clean) to yellow (crunch) to red (lead) ! Cant beat that ! lol! Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

One more vote for the Bogner Ecstasy or Ecstasy Classic. Take your pick.

11. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

;)yep

12. EdgeOfDarkness

EdgeOfDarkness Member

13. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

+1 .. Ecstacy is great too (more $ too!)

14. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

Randall RM100. Just pop in your favorite three modules and you can have it voiced any way you like, And its considerably cheaper than other alternatives yet still a full tilt tube amp :)

15. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Egnator Mod50 - get the preamp modules that fit your needs and turn it up. Separate voiced preamp modules that come from classic tone POV's.

16. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Egnater Mod 50

VX + T/D?

BMan + SL?

17. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I have been down this path... nothing worked out perfect for me. I was looking for the same kinda thing but in a sub 50 watt package.

I ended up with a BaD Cat Lil'15 and a Budda SUperdrive 18 with a 1x12 cab and a Headbone switcher. It allows me to use three channels but doesn't have the compromises that amps with 3+ channels have.

18. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Just bought the Egnater Tourmaster, will do those tones with no problem! , and cost less than most of the amps mentioned! just try one!!!

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

But you still needed a pedal for channel changes.

Go back to pedals, get (ideally) as fine a clean amp as you can, get 2or3 pedals that work well together and free yourself from needing anything more that a good clean amp at any venue.:AOK

20. datriani

datriani Member

Rockon1 is right, that Peavey Ultra plus is a killer amp. My buddy turned me onto them a while back and for the money, NOTHING beats it. But at twice to 3 times the price at $7-900, a Marshall 6100LM is a pretty damn good amp like I said earlier. I had a Bogner XTC and a/b'ed with my 6100 and 6100LM. The 6100 sounded just like the XTC and the 6100LM sounded better to me. So I sold the XTC....don't get me wrong it's a great amp but I was able to dial in that sounds that I liked from bogner with a marshall that cost 1/3 the price. For me it was a matter of logic, not $$$$.