1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need 6CG7's - What are my options?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Bloodspoint, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Bloodspoint

Bloodspoint Member

Hi Guys,

I need to tube up a Silvertone 1484, and I'm pretty familiar with the current crop of 12AX7's and 6L6's, but I don't know anything about 6CG7's. I've found somed NOS RCA's for $20-something bucks, and some new EI production for abotu $8 apiece. Anybody got experience with these, or know of other options?

Thanks,

Sean

2. bobeau

bobeau Member

This tube is somewhat popular in the power section of headphone tube amps... RCA chrome/cleartops are pretty great.

3. number9

number9 Member

That tube is also known as a 6FQ7... used by Audio Research a lot in the older
    stuff (D series amps) as phase inverters, CCS's and other things... The other poster
    is correct, the RCA clear tops are a good sounding tube, if you are using it as a phase
    inverter I would also suggest checking out the NOS GE 6FQ7 which is a very good
    tube. Ei makes a new 6CG7, but I have not heard it yet, so I can not comment.

The RCA clear tops should run about $20 a pop, the GE's should be same ballpark
    or less than that actually.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Ampeg used these in some early Gemini, B22 and B42 amps. I believe they were used as a reverb driver. The ones I've seen were Ampeg labeled sylvania's and lasted forever, with very few microphonics. Antique electronic supply lists three types; 6cg7/6fq7 at $12.65, 6cg7 Ei for $9.95 and RCA clear top for $23.70. I'd ask the brand name on the $12.65 priced one and if they're USA brands(esp. Raytheon, Sylvania,GE, etc.) graba couple. The website is www.tubesandmore.com

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    For $12 extra for the RCAs (over the EIs) you'll probably get about 12X the life out of them. Your search is over.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

It is my understanding that the 6CG7 is the 9 pin version of the popular 6SN7, which is an 8 pin octal, but will mildly reduced maximum power rating. It is also my understanding that the 6FQ7 is the same thing with better shielding between triode sections, which could be important in some higher frequency applications. When I re-built/re-designed one of my hi-fi amplifiers I used 6CG7 tubes and they worked very well. As someone else mentioned the microphonics are very low in this tube and they wear like iron. This was a very popular tube in old TV sets and I wouldn't pay a premium for a pair myself.

DJ