Need 8" 200w speaker for SS amp. Speaker knowlege help please...

XXTwighlight

I just ordered a Quilter ToneBlock which is a tiny 200 watt solid state amp.
I want to run the Toneblock in stereo with my Quilter Micropro 8" combo .
The Micropro uses a "full range" 8" speaker (celestion TF0818) which works great with the solid state amp.
The Micropro amp is 100 watts. The Celestion TF0818 speaker is 100 Wrms, 94dB with a freq range of 70-6000Hz.

I plan on having a small cab built around the ToneBlock, maybe 10"w x 12"h x 8"d. The ToneBlock is 200 watts, and I want to run just a single 8" speaker. There are a few choices from Celestion and others found at USSpeaker that are non-guitar speakers. A single 8" guitar speaker does not handle that kind of power. Which is fine, because I know the full range Celestion TF0818 sounds just fine in the Micropro. But I'm confused on which 8" 200 watt model speaker to attempt that will sound close to the TF0818?
The Celestion FTR08-2011D seems close to the TF0818 specs...
FTR08-2011D 200Wrms 93dB 70-6000Hz
There are a couple others in the ballpark as well.
I'm just not sure if Freq Range alone will tell me if its gonna sound comparable to the Micropros TF0818 speaker.
Let me know if anyone has info on this subject. Here are links to Celestion and USSpeaker. They have Frequency Graphs if that helps any.

Speaker currently in Quilter Micropro (Celestion TF0818) see graph and other related speakers from list on left.
http://celestion.com/product/110/tf0818/

USSpeaker
http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

amphog

The main market for a high power 8" driver is a mid bass, so you will see less low and high end. The Eminence Beta 8a would work, I have used these in champs, it is a mostly uncolored speaker.

jbjr

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, has anyone tried the FTR08-2011D with the Quilter Tone Block yet? Pat recommended a 2xTF0818 for the 200w, but I'm also interested in an option for a 1x8 and was considering the FTR08.

I've tried several Emi 12" guitar speakers in an open back cab, but they are a bit lacklustre, I am guessing this amp is designed to work with something more like the TF0818 PA speaker.

XXTwighlight

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, has anyone tried the FTR08-2011D with the Quilter Tone Block yet? Pat recommended a 2xTF0818 for the 200w, but I'm also interested in an option for a 1x8 and was considering the FTR08.

I've tried several Emi 12" guitar speakers in an open back cab, but they are a bit lacklustre, I am guessing this amp is designed to work with something more like the TF0818 PA speaker.
I actually just had the Celestion NTR- 2011D and a B&C 8mDN51 to try with My Toneblock.
The Celestion Was the better speaker, as it was warmer and just sounded nice.
Plus it was very light. But at 92dB the volume loss was noticeable.
If you can deal with what seemed around a 15-20% decrease in volume! the def check out the NTR 2011D. $200 .

jbjr

Thanks XXTwighlight.

I ended up getting a compact custom 2x8 closed back cab made up (thanks to Eric's Guitar in Sydney) and used two TF0818s running into 4 ohms. The low efficiency (94db) helps tame the 200watts.

I've recently been running it through a Tonkerlite in an open back cab, but it lacked sparkle and character unless it was at gigging volumes. No lack of sparkle in the new cab - those speakers really give you a wide tonal palette to play with. With the contour up around 3 o'clock it's nice and punchy. You have to roll back on the guitar tone a little or it can get fizzy on a strat or tele, but everything else is much more balanced.

Nice simple amp to put pedals or a modeler in front of. Also my Maton Acoustic sounds great through it. So a jack of all trades....not sure how Pat Quilter does it, but this is certainly a real jump ahead in versatile SS amps.

Trending Topics