Need a 6v6 Suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rks89, Nov 7, 2011.

1. rks89

rks89 Member

I've got a princeton clone that sounds killer. It shipped with some EH 6v6's that I enjoyed for their raw breakup. When it was time to swap I tried some Tung Sol's after researching on TGP for different reviews. I recently just got back my amp and tossed some EH's back in and have realized I wan't a hybrid of sorts.

I enjoyed the Tung Sol's for their definition and clarity but didn't like how smooth the breakup was.
    The EH's are great for breakup and light compression but man they sound like they have blankets over them after playing Tung Sol's for a while.

What do you guys think for something clear, warm and lightly compressed but with a nice raw breakup? I'm fine with NOS or New Production but am not looking to spend 200 bucks on tubes either.

2. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

The other option would be JJs...

Or you can go with the popular NOS options like GE, RCA, etc.

3. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

Or you could take a considerable risk and try the Gold Lion 6V6GTs set at about 19ma. They are quite good at what you describe.

4. champster

champster Member

JJs. I use them in my PRRI and they sound great. A bit more punch compared to the stock EHs. Also the speaker makes a huge difference. I'm now using an Eminence 1058 in mine.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
  6. rks89

rks89 Member

Just nervous the headroom in JJs would be too high and I'd be in 6l6 land more so than 6v6.

Have definitely considered RCA's but haven't heard as much about the type of breakup than the revered clean sound. Then again, I haven't really explored tubes much...

7. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

I can't say for sure but I have JJ 6V6S (the high voltage ones) in my HR Deluxe and they lowered the clean headroom considerably. I think they will sound good in your amp.

8. zsno

zsno Member

I'd vote for JJ's as well. Can't beat them for the price.

9. KWCabs

KWCabs Member

I use NOS 50s GE 6v6GTA tubes, love em, very smooth, but nice clear highs. You can usually find them around for reasonable $.

10. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Escaped Kaliforina to the great state of TEXAS
    :agree

I've had good luck with JJ's. :BluesBros

11. Chianti

Chianti Member

I would suggest 6V6G, I love how they sound, also at low volumes. Of course is gonna depending also on the amp that you'll use, but I found them to deliver an amazing clear tone: defined but warm, rich and articulate and they break up nicely...

12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

For NOS I like RCA and Raytheon tubes. For new production, the JJ's have been good.

13. LPVM

LPVM Member

14. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

For new production, I'll second (or third) the JJ recommendation. They're tough and strong sounding but maybe more 6l6 like than you want.

For nos, I've had great results with sylvanias from KCA. I have them in both my 5E3 and Brownface Deluxes. Also can vouch for the black RCA's in my Princeton.

15. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

16. mbargav

mbargav Member

RCA. For production I'd go with Tungsol. JJ would be my last choice; JJ doesn't really make a true 6V6.

17. Mojo Shinn

Mojo Shinn Supporting Member

I have a Swart Atom Jr. that came with the JJ 6V6. The JJ was a good tube, but I much prefer the sound that I get with the TAD tube. The same nice tight bass as the JJ, but I hear a little more defined midrange with the TADs, and the high end has a gorgeous sparkle to it. The breakup on the TADs is also very nice! They are an affordable tube as well, which always helps.

http://thetubestore.com/tad6v6.html

Good luck.

18. go7

go7 Member

Brimar 6V6 GT in my Deluxe reverb. RCA in my 5E3.
    Heaven

19. balde

balde Member

if you want a true 6v6 maybe jj aren´t for you. But i feel they are a great tube. they don´t sound like 6l6, they exhibit some 6l6 characteristics. They are punchier and have a greater bass response than other 6v6s. But comparing them with 6l6 (i´ve done it twice with different amps) they are more midrangey and a bit darker, mainly due to their mid, and low mid content.

20. localmotion411

localmotion411 Gold Supporting Member

I went with Mike's suggestion of the NOS RCA 6V6GTA's in my Divided by 13 FTR37 when replacing the stock JJ's, and I'm extremely happy with the results.

The amp sounded fantastic with the JJ's but I wanted NOS power and rectifier tubes due to their durability and dependability for live use. These RCA's make the amp sound a little older and give it a little more bloom and harmonic content. The amp just sounds a little more dynamic, punchy and alive.