Need a Bass AND amp - $1000 limit

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by electronpirate, Mar 28, 2008.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I'm a guitarist, Keys, and Vocals kind of guy, but years ago, I did play alot of Bass.

I'm looking to get back into it, as Guitarists are a dime a dozen these days, and I'm not interested in being a 'frontman'.

I need a Bass and Amp. I'm smaller, so would like a bass that maybe is not TOO huge, but pretty good quality. An amp that works as a practice amp (decent wattage, etc) , with a line-out for live work.

Suggestions?

I've looked at:
    Ibanez - Actually liked them. Played better and was smoother than bigger names.
    Fender - Seemed a little wider fret-wise than my fingers wanted to play. I could adjust, but why?

Ron

2. dave s

dave s Member

sent you a PM.

dave

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Question:

Should I spend more on the Bass, or the Amp? My impulse is to get a decent playing Bass for cheaper, and get spendy on maybe one of the Ampeg's...

Opinions?

5. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Get a 500 or 400 dollar combo, SWR, GK, etc...try what you like. Avoid Behringer and stuff like that.

Then spend 500-600 on the bass, that should get you a good GL Tribute, a really nice Ibby, a MIM Fender, maybe a CIJ Fender used, maybe a Yamaha.

Screw ampeg (sorry, not a fan anymore, played too many crappy 15 inch combos)). I find Peaveys and Fenders in that price range to be too "farty".

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Or a really nice used Guild Pilot - terrific bang/buck there, especially with the active EMG P/J setup. "Whippin' fast neck" as Brad Houser said when he checked out my old fretless Pilot [which I stupidly let go - oy]).